Friday, May 6, 2022

Tilt!

 

I have seen excessive "advocating" happen enough in my life that I have seen it backfire in embarrassing ways.

I had one employee who was out on sick-leave shortly before the Christmas downtime. The contract read that the only way she could receive holiday pay was if she had either worked the last scheduled work day or had pre-approved vacation.

I received a phone-call from a fellow supervisor who was romantically involved with my employee. The fellow supervisor demanded that I falsify records because "We do it all the time."

I refused.

The supervisor improperly brought in my employee the day after production ceased and cajoled the plant doctor to certify my employee as fit-to-work. Then the supervisor went in and falsified the records.

When my employee returned after the break, my fellow supervisor demanded that I cut an out-of-sequence check through payroll. I refused.

The fellow supervisor initiated the process after I refused.

My employee received a splendidly, magnificently, generous pay-check.

And then went without pay for the next four pay periods and the "thrash" my fellow supervisor jammed into the system was corrected.

The payroll program knew. The programming was done in batch mode. If an error was made in one batch, it would be recognized and corrected in subsequent batches.

And the beautiful thing was that I did not leave a single, electronic fingerprint on the cluster-festival.

The legal system

The legal system gets a lot of criticism from people who are emotion-driven.

It is my opinion that the traditional US legal system does what it does very well.

The people who it deals with already proved they do not respond to logic or requests or rules or pain felt by other people.

There are judges and advocates in the system to mute the most severe consequences and to consider special circumstances but for the most part the legal system has its hand on the volume knob and turns it up several clicks with each interaction and asks "Can you hear me know?"

I shake my heads at the parents who crap on LEOs. They had fifteen or twenty years to parent the kid and they FAILED. The LEO might have 15 seconds.

But they never see their own, compounding failures-to-parent. Never.

The wheels of justice grind slowly but they grind exceedingly fine.

7 comments:

  1. And did the Main Squeeze supervisor suffer any consequences?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for that episode. We parted ways.

      Last I heard, SHE was on long-term disability for emotional health issues. Sometimes that is "the deal you cannot refuse" the Firm offered to bad children.

      Delete
  2. ERJ I start by wishing you a speedy recovery. I then ask you to stay in your lane. Admittedly you are an astute observer of human nature and a scratch tech commenter. As a person immersed in the legal system, your faith in it is misguided. Read your entry to anyone stuck in a hole for trumped up (pun intended) felony charges since 1/6 and you will be lucky not to have whatever gruel they are being fed chucked at you. There are now two standards of justice clearly. Felonia Von Pantsuit will never see justice, nor will any of the 2000 mules who stole the election. We could go on. But mark my words had your cell phone been in the 37118 zip code you’d be in a hole right now. The wheels of justice grind in favor of who ever has their foot on the accelerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ERJ has it right, and is in his lane. There is a three tier justice system: one for the "elite", one enforced by the untouchable Federal forces, and one enforced by local and state police. The latter deal with real street crime as opposed to political crime.

      Delete
  3. Back in the day when I worked in a plant, all the positions got jacked around as seniority people came off medicals to get Christmas holiday pay bumping everyone around the plant.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.