Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Collectables

I never considered "Collectables" to be a good investment because the market is thinly traded, dominated by a few "brokers", and prices are totally dependent on an arbitrary judgement of minty-ness. Diamonds fall into this category but gold does not.

One way I choose topics for blog posts is when I hear several people voice a common concern or make a similar observation. This is one of those kinds of posts.

One person was lamenting that he was nearing the end of his life and nobody in his life wants any of his library. They see it as a burden, a chore. They intend to haul the books to the dump. These are books he spent a lifetime chasing down and collecting. As a fellow lover of books it gives me incredible sadness.

Another person was lamenting that they could not give any of their Hummel figurines to their children. Their children had chosen austere lifestyles and own virtually nothing. If they need something unusual, they rent it.

Another friend has a BIG collection of firearms. His son was convicted of a felony and cannot legally own any firearms. His daughter died in a traffic accident. He is 80 years-old and has nobody to bequeath his collection to. His collection story is a little different than the others. After retiring young, he went to work in a local factory. Most of his coworkers were young men who were not good at managing money. Sammy, on the other hand, was married to a woman who was supremely gifted at managing money. The young guys knew that Sammy always carried $100 of cash with him. If they needed money, Sammy would cheerfully purchase their firearm in the parking lot at lunch time. No, he didn't always pay the entire $100.

As somebody who likes trees and orchards, I keep an eye on properties with fruit-trees when they go up for sale. 95% of the time the new owners cut down the trees and bulldoze the orchard to make it a lawn that is easy to mow.

I admire the attitude of the book-lover. He shares generously because he realizes that might be the only way he can perpetuate his legacy. The artifacts that we sacrificed to acquire are often just so much trash to haul to the dump.

18 comments:

  1. My Dad has a coin collection.
    I don't have a passing interest beyond "old shit worth stuff, worth more stuff as it gets older". He constantly asks if any of my kids would be interested in his collection. They play XBox all day Dad...
    I totally get it. Sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MAN !!!! When I was about 8-9 years old I had a great uncle pass away and I got a coffee can of old coins.1930-1950. Face value of maybe 15 bucks but it was like finding Blackbeard's treasure to me !!!

      Delete
  2. I am interested in inheriting some guns. pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books. I hate to see books of any kind end up in a landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long time lurker, first time commenter: This little parable of yours stuck a chord deep within me Mr. ERJ.
    After finalizing my recently departed 93 year old mother-in law's estate with her daughter (my bride of 50 years), it's very humbling to realize that whenever I shuffle off this mortal coil, some of my most cherished artifacts will, as you so eloquently reminded me, be deemed trash to be hauled away.
    Best wishes for your speedy recovery and keep reminding your bride that each day she stays with you as you heal is another jewel in her crown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's tough, kids don't always share the same interests as their parents did. I know when my father-in-law passed we filled at least 2-40yd dumpsters of stuff collected over the years and that doesn't include the automotive stuff. Much of what my mother had when she passed was donated or trashed as well.

    I suggest those persons that have specialized collections contact related org's that can ensure they're handled as best they could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "Collectibles Market" is a phenomenon of a society that is so successful that resources can be wasted on this gs thatservbno useful purpose. And as long as said society remains successful than "Collectibles" remain valuable...at least for those who find them interesting. But when reality shows up and things to south in a big way those "Collectibles" quickly become overpriced paperweights. Better to spend the resources on things that can keep you alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least my "collectibles" can serve some purpose, if TSHTF. I collect...and use, antique and vintage woodworking hand tools. Think saws, chisels and planes. Also brace and bits, ect.

      Delete
  7. This strikes a chord with me. My wife collected Avon plates and little figurines. She passed 15 years ago, no one wanted any of that stuff. I finally got rid of it all just last month when we moved. Mind you, books and tools somehow made the cut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy going to auctions. Antique furniture and collectibles both go for low prices. Nobody wants clutter or things that take up floor space. My parents have a china cabinet full of depression glass and other glass wear that no one will want when they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is something I think about every day. I have been collecting books since I was 12 years old. And old guns. And old furniture. And a shop and barn full of old tools, some of which belonged to my grandfathers and their fathers. Some of this stuff is Civil War era. I used to think I had a house full of value. Not anymore. Today's young people would haul it to the re-store or the dump. So sad. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two thoughts.
    1. A close friend informed me that he has a small emetary where he buries all his dearly departeds “stuff”, - books, beanie babies, spoon collections, decorative whisky bottles , etc all get put into plywood boxes the size of a steamer trunk and buried. Doing this he always has the option of digging it up if he feels he’s made a terrible mistake and he avoids the guilt that comes from land filing the materials.
    2. I spent time this spring cleaning up tornado damaged homes, having had the opportunity to put it in perspective several people commented that they didn’t know why they’d been keeping all that “crap” ( aluminum serving ware, antique car parts, costume jewelry, teddy bears, dolls etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ERJ - You should be proud that your legacy will be in the growing trees and your garden(s) as well as your offspring. ' Leave the world a better place than when you entered it' is no bad rule - pity our politicians don't follow it

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a knife collector and have purchased many of them for my pleasure and possible future item to sell to others. Most of these can be shipped worldwide to others who like them as much as I do.

    When I die and the remainder still exist, I tell my wife and my children that they could gather 10 of them at a time and sell at a pawn shop for say $200 once a month. The real value is far higher, but my family is helped to be fed / clothed / gassed up.

    $$$ can be devalued completely (looking at you Confederate Notes !) but well made cutlery is appreciated by many.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had an acquaintance (time made clear that he had no friends) who collected knives. High end, custom blades. He thought nothing of spending tens of thousands of dollars on each.
    His wife would casually ask what a new acquisition cost, and he would answer “twenty five dollars”. She believed him.
    Upon his death, his “friends” showed up and bought them from his widow.
    For $25, each.
    My two kids, their spouses, and their children share many of my interests.
    And you can bet they’ve been educated as to the items’ values.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Part of our "downsizing" was to get rid of a lot of books and replace them with e-books. The books were donated to the local library, and they were very happy to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love books wish i had more but live in small 4 room place.
    books are so heavy so shipping them is expensive.
    if a time of no electricity comes books will be indispensible.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.