Tuesday, May 17, 2022

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow!

I am pretty pumped-up about visiting the Orthopedics doc tomorrow. They will shoot an x-ray of the leg, take off the current cast and then I meet with the doc after she decides what happens next.

One of Dr. Cynthia Koelker's tips to squeeze the most value from your medical dollar is to type up a list of the questions you want addressed and email them to the doctor's office the day before your visit. That way your doctor will not be caught flat-footed and you will not waste time hemming-and-hawing as you try to remember your questions.

So, that it this morning's task.

I also have a doctor's visit with the Old Curmudgeon, my personal physician, on Friday.

God willing, I will be back in Eaton Rapids in the next few days.

It is good to have a plan

I want to have some kind of plan that does not involve in-home visits of Occupational Therapists or Physical Therapists. The discharge plan from the hospital informed me that I would have an OT visit within three days of discharge. That never happened. Two weeks on, we still have not had a visit or a phone call. Again, I think it is because medical staffing is flat on its ass everywhere.

That wasn't a big deal for me because I had Mrs ERJ attending to my every need and Mom's house came fully furnished with every kind of mobility aid imaginable this side of a Hoyer lift. 

The only question I had for the OT was "How would I transfer from the floor to a piece of furniture should I fall?" At this point, I have enough physical strength back that it is a non-issue.

But before I reached that degree of strength, I watched a few videos to see what other people did.

Ten minute run-time

I actually enjoyed this one where a paraplegic (no function below arms) transfers herself from the ground to her wheelchair without anybody's help. This woman has a great attitude and this video is a great remedy if you are feeling sorry for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting video and a very competent young lady who has learned to deal with her issues.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.