Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Tomatoes into the ground

Hey ho, hey ho. Its off to work we go!

I need to get water to this sometime today.

 
Second trip. These did not hold together in a rootball like the first batch so I got to drag hose and water them immediately after planting.
I was extremely motivated to get some points on the board even if it was just a field-goal. The orchard grass is on the verge of starting to pollinate and that causes me problems. Once it starts, it continues for about five days.

And then I got to move the cattle tank back to where I could reach it with the hose and refill it. Better to wrestle with the 30 gallon "tank" than to chase cows.

The new baby

Mrs ERJ informs me that at three days of age the new addition definitely has our daughter's personality.

Southern Belle is a make-lists, take-names, get-stuff-done kind of gal. Quicksilver (the handle I will use for the new addition) has already demonstrated that there are certain schedules that will NOT be violated. Like the feeding schedule.

Fortunately, Handsome Hombre is thrilled by the miracle of his new daughter and has been basking in the praise showered on him for making (with a little help from Southern Belle and God) such a beautiful child. Handsome Hombre is an easy-going guy and SB and HH make a great team.

Smoke alarms

I have a smoke alarm chirping in the basement and it was suggested that my going up-and-down stairs is not a good idea.

I have an app on my phone that informs me of the spectral content of ambient noise. I can state with a relatively high degree of confidence that the primary component of the chirping is 5100 Hz. I am surprised it is that high. I was under the impression that men lose the ability to hear in the higher registers as we age.

Belladonna is expected home tomorrow afternoon.

Kubota impressed me

In years past, Kubota and his buddies would spend Memorial Day weekend at Silver Lake.

Silver Lake is a state park that is next to Lake Michigan and is noted for its sand-dunes and for the fact that it is one place where off-road vehicles are allowed to tear them up.

Kubota and his buddies would drive like maniacs and see how many thousands of dollars they could trash on their vehicles. Few parts were safe. U-joints, Pitman arms, alternators, throttle-spools...the fine, powdery sand got everywhere.

Beer may also have been involved.

This year he looked at his finances before the weekend and decided to NOT go to Silver Lake. Not only that, but he found a gig house-sitting. Just the fact that he looked at his finances before doing something that either involved hotel bills or many hundreds of miles of driving is HUGE.

I think he is growing up.

8 comments:

  1. Babies have a schedule all their own, and all around them conform to it.

    The chirp of a smoke alarm is one of the most annoying in the world - which, I suppose, is what make it so effective.

    Well done Kubota. Hopefully sooner or later, that day comes for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky, my 19 year old isn't at that stage yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a neighbor that couldn't hear the chirping fire alarm over his head but I could hear it 40yrds away. I finally changed the battery myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Higher frequencies do slip. As a kid, I could hear the sweep oscillator in our old Zenith black and white across the house. Today, after industrial quantities of JP4, flash powder, gun smoke, banging, clanging and air movement systems, I roll off about 7 or 8 Khz. The lower registers, like thump bugs driving around are unfortunately easy to hear.

    Good on Kubota. I got married at 19. That caused a HUGE shift in priorities. Not much money around then: youth and barely past the Carter Catastrophie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5100 isn't that high; as mentioned above I would expect most hearing loss to be well above that frequency.
    Kids can hear up to around 20k and often drop to 14 or 12 k over time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for him, and yes, slow your ass down ERJ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love tomatoes. Hope you have a bumper crop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since moving to Texas I have had a hard time growing tomatoes. However, this year, I just picked my first 4 tomatoes. All a little bigger than a tennis ball and bright red. With lots of them coming on so perhaps, this year, I will have better luck. Best of luck to you in your quest to grow tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.