Thursday, October 4, 2018

Starlog Day Two: More casualties

Mrs ERJ is still in Florida.

The blue truck died. I got to the end of the driveway when I KNEW I had not locked an important door. I went back inside and locked it. Getting back in the truck yielded "Click."   "Click."

I called the backup team to cover mom and dad's. Then I started trouble shooting.

The terminal to the positive battery post was loose. It would not tighten. It was stripped.

Only two-ish threads of engagement into lead. Not good.
The corners were worn off the bolt head and the round was scarred from channel-locks. Not the first time this has been an issue, I would guess.
I have bolts in the work-room. One size was too short. One was too long. It only took one lock washer and three flat washers to Billie-bob the long one to "just right."

Total time elapsed, 35 minutes.

Thanks for the hand with mom-and-dad, M&T.


1 comment:

  1. You can use a nut on the bolt to adjust the amount of thread that screws into the battery. Thread the nut all the way on the bolt then add 1 washer then screw into battery as tight as you dare with out stripping the threads in the battery. Then you simply tighten the nut down against the battery cables and you're done. Been there done that!

    ReplyDelete