|Approximately 1000 hybrid grape seeds: (V. riparia L50-s x Trebbiano) by O.P. The material parent does not produce pollen so these are all out-crosses.|
Breeders of fruits, both amateur and professional were taken aback by the statement.
The reasoning behind the statement is pretty clear.
Suppose you have ten characteristics that are critical to a successful introduction. In no particular order let me toss out:
- Bears soon after planting
- Tree bears enough fruit to be economically viable
- Fruit has high sugar
- Fruit has appropriate tartness
- Fruit has great texture
- Fruit has exceptional aromatics
- Fruit is hard enough to ship
- Fruit is brilliantly colored
- Tree resists three major diseases of economic consequence
- Tree is resistant to winter cold