Sunday, January 17, 2021

For the Newbies: AK or AR or Mosin-Nagant?

  

The Mosin-Nagant is proof that crude is not a bug  but a feature

Source

AK – It works though you have never cleaned it. Ever.
AR – You have $9 per ounce special non-detergent synthetic Teflon infused oil for cleaning.
Mosin-Nagant – It was last cleaned in Berlin in 1945.

AK – You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside.
AR – You are able to hit the broad side of a barn from 600 meters.
Mosin-Nagant – You can hit the farm from two counties over.

AK – Cheap mags are fun to buy.
AR – Cheap mags melt.
Mosin-Nagant – What’s a mag?

AK – Your rifle can be used by any two-bit nation’s most illiterate conscripts to fight elite forces worldwide.
AR – Your rifle is used by elite forces worldwide to fight two-bit nations’ most illiterate conscripts.
Mosin-Nagant – Your rifle has fought against itself – and won every time.

AK – Your rifle won some revolutions.
AR – Your rifle drove Saddam out of Kuwait.
Mosin-Nagant – Your rifle won a pole vault event.


AK47: The bayonet doubles as a decent hunting knife.

AR15: Your bayonet will do an alright job of butchering your kill if needed

Mosin-Nagant: Your bayonet can be used to spit roast an entire pig.


AK47: Made out of oil rigs and packing crates

AR15: Made out of used cars and recycled milk jugs

Mosin-Nagant: Made out of old water pipe and goat carts


AK47: Makes grown men cry.

AR15: Makes grown men laugh

Mosin-Nagant: Makes grown men incontinent.


AK47: Can start brush fires by dropping it after the handguard catches fire.

AR15: Can start brush fires with incendiary ammunition.

Mosin-Nagant: Can start brush fires by firing from anything lower than a kneeling position.

 And many, many more at the link.

9 comments:

  1. I live in the boreal region of Canada, I've seen temps drop to minus 52 celsius and for one month long period it was under 45c every day.

    It's a real test of firearms in those temps and semi autos need graphite instead of oil based to function.

    I've used FN (FAL), AK 47, CZ 58 and AR 15. Any and all will get real fussy at about 20 below and often will only fire once.

    I have also used mosin and lee-enfields, they always work, every time, always, and have yet to see one that failed to cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chip Hailstone from Life Below Zero favors the Finn Valmet (a Mosin re-arsenal) for those very reasons. He also says that the utility of the straight bolt becomes apparent when you are cycling the bolt with mittens.

      Delete
  2. Mini-14 seams like nice comprimise between AK and AR. My mini 14 shoots the steel lacquered cheap ammo I'd never let get near the ar. To bad the mini 30 couldn't say the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run the poly coated Wolf with no problems.
      And I never have to pick up my brass. :)

      Delete
  3. Why choose? I've got both AK and AR and won't be shooting at 20 below :)
    I'm surprised SKS wasn't mentioned.
    But you can't argue against a Mosin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It still amazes me every time I think about Finland's Simo Hayha, aka "The White Death", who is credited with 500 Russian invaders killed using a Mosin Nagant with iron sights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a Polish version Mosin that is likely called a type 59. It was unissued. I got it, I swear to god, by trading a 'Black Watch Kilt' for it.

    Of the rifles I own, including several Red Rifles, it tends to be my go to version of a Truck Gun.

    I have removed the side folding bayonet and had the bayonet base milled into a round profile and put a few coats of linseed oil on the bate wood.

    It's an ugly puppy, but when ugly weather or ugly terrain is in the future, I grab it an go.

    One plus is, I bought an SVT40 a few years ago, and the deal was I also received 2 spam cans of ammo. That'll keep me shooting for a few years.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.