Saturday, June 24, 2023

Starting to feel like Dr Frankenstein

Once again the 45 year-old A/C compressor was jolted back to life.

Handsome Hombre did the heavy lifting. I quietly swirled the ice-cubes in my drink and made dry, witty comments.

HH found at least three issues and very swiftly set them right. A wire that had been chewed up and was grounding to the cabinet, crud had sifted between the contacts on one leg of the magnetic contactor and he found a broken 1/4" spade fitting on the control-wiring side.

He was very safe, checking voltages every time I dashed into the house to freshen my drink flip off the breakers.

My name is once again inscribed in the Hall of Heroes...right below Handsome Hombre's. He is a very easy guy to work with.

Both of our wives were amazed.

7 comments:

  1. You sure are blessed to have a son-in-law like that. Wish I did. --ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a golden gift: being a pleasant worker. I'm glad you have HH to hand. Between the two of you, I'd say your bailiwick is in good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supervising a job can be an under-rated task. Excellent work on breaker checking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… 3-4 hours/day ..95 bucks every hour…..> https://www.pay.salary49.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might want to do an analysis on what power consumption a new AC setup would be vs your old one. At 45 years, that is about an 8 SEER unit, whereas a new one would be about 14 SEER (*or higher), which is nearly twice as efficient. Might well pay for itself in 2 or three years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are lucky, Joe. And you in a way created your own luck. Girls who grow up in two parent families and who are raised well tend to be more well adjusted, and subsequently tend to pick higher quality mates. Hence, her choice of HH as her husband is indirectly, if only marginally, due to you and your wife.

    In my own case I simply lucked out. My step-daughter was already a 20 year old adult when I married her mom 20 years ago. Ten years later step-daughter found and married an excellent man. He is former Navy (10 years in nuclear submarines), currently teacher of math and physics, devout Christian, and firearms enthusiast. They home school their two young boys.

    Both of them grew up largely without a father in their life, and they both now consider me to be their true father. Which brings me back to my original point. I simply got lucky. But you (and your wife) at least partially created your 'luck'.

    And of course, the grace of God has much to do with it as well.

    George True

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed, since the A/C I babied (and still had running) was 29 years old when it got taken out. Thing is, the new A/C cost so much less to run that two years later it had already paid for itself. I second B's comment, I wish I'd replaced that unit sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.