Thursday, June 1, 2023

Pole beans, winter squash and zinnia seeds in the ground...

 


I always wanted to plant one of these teepees where the gardener grows pole beans, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes....up the sides. Kids can play in them and pick their snacks.

I always quailed at the inefficient use of space. It can really mess up the tilling.

I cheated. Half of the teepee is in the garden and half is outside. I used a full sized fence post (8' long with 2' in the ground) as the center. The sides are 45 degrees, so the circle at the bottom is 6' from the base of the fence post and the main tripod poles are a bit longer than 9'.

Flat tires

Handsome Hombre had a flat tire on the way to work today.

I think he is appreciating the "bench" he can all on when things go in the ditch. I picked him up and got him to work one minute late. Then I swapped out the flat for the spare, dropped off the spare to get it fixed. Then I dropped the truck off at his place of employment so he can drive himself home.

I had a nice chat with the gentleman who let HH park the truck in his driveway. Vietnam, 1969 and 70. Attack helicopter crewman. He lost many friends over their, including his crew-chief. He was on leave when "his" chopper flew into the side of a mountain. It might have been survivable but a piece of equipment (a generator?) ripped out of its supports and flattened his crew-chief.

He visibly teared up telling me about it. It was as if he felt guilty for not being on that mission...as if he could have know the mountain was there.

He came back home and worked in a factory for 53 year.

I bought him a gas card for the trouble we put him to.

And, while I was filling up my own gas-cans, I was chatting with a "visiting nurse" who was filling up her vehicle.

She had a patient yesterday who she had to wait 30 minutes for. He was out, riding around on his tractor putting up hay.

She cuts him slack. She does not have very many male patients who are 98 years-old. Yes, you read that right. Her 98 year-old patient was out farming.

She admitted that his activity level is probably a big reason why he has lived to such a good age.

That, and the fact that he has a back-hoe and lots of acres to bury "problems" probably means he doesn't have much stress in his life.

4 comments:

  1. I've been saying I need a backhoe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I positively produce lots of money ($200-$300/hour) on-line from my laptop. Last month I acquired just about $50,000. this line paintings is simple and (q1) straightforward. You don’t need to be pressured to travel to the office, it’s on-line paintings from home. You return to be freelance as shortly as affiliation this position. i essentially respect my friend.…

    Who pointed it bent American state SITE Click Here And See=====>>> USD Work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brightens my day, when feeling run down. I too have a backhoe & lots of places to dig. Thanks for the pick me up!
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Teepee is a great way to grow vining plants. I've never seen that idea in print - Thanks !

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.