Thursday, June 15, 2023

Garden pictures and a video...

 

The potato patch. I spotted my first potato beetle larvae and was going to spray. Rain was predicted so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Looking toward the northwest.

Peppers in the foreground. Tomatoes in the back. This slice is east of the potatoes and I am looking north.

Sweet corn patch. The six rows I planted later are doing OK. The four rows I replanted are germinating but something is pulling them up. Crows? My back-up plan involves turnips, rutabagas, radishes and beets.

Cowpeas germinating. You might have to hunt for them but there are two pushing in the image. I think I planted them June 7ish.

Geneva Red grape vine with clusters forming.

Liberty apple tree on MARK rootstock. MARK was slammed for not being drought resistant. Frankly, I do not know of any productive, small-semi-dwarf rootstock that IS drought resistant. Life is about trade-offs.

A youtube video I enjoyed. Turn off the sound and run it at 1.25X speed.

They use poly houses and transplants to maximize the amount of canopy intercepting sunlight. They use livestock to glean protein from crop-waste. I saw a rooster tethered, maybe to a moveable peg or a dead-weight...something to think about. Many baskets in use. Kids as young as 6 or 7 are productive, washing dishes, herding goats, cutting forage. I wonder how long this land has been under cultivation.

Rhetorical question

Are non-binary Wiccans considered Hexadecimal?

6 comments:

  1. 16 Wiccans in a coven? I usta be conversant in BCD, octal, and hex...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Friggin robins are pulling my corn as it sprouts. Worse, they are just leaving the shoots lie there. The taller corn - they leave alone.

    I just am amazed....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taters looking great! Had a terrible spring here in ETN. Looks like we'll be eating a lot of squash this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year something denuded a bunch of my marigolds. I was going to pull them out, but they grew back strong. Same this year so far. Also did a number on my squash plants but it looks like they stopped eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… for 3-4 hours/day 95 bucks every hour…..> https://www.pay.salary49.com

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.