Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Back to the grind

I sprayed my fruit trees and tomato vines with calcium. 45 grams of calcium nitrate in 1.5 gallons of water, plus 15ml of 80:20 surfacant. It took 3 gallons to cover the trees I wanted to cover. That amount will increase over the summer as the fruit gets larger and more visible. The goal is to get at least 50% wet-out on all fruit.

I went through a gallon of 2,4-d spraying various weeds. Given our continuing dry conditions, I am getting serious about discouraging vines. Vines out-compete trees because they do not need to invest resources in stiff stems. They are the welfare-queens in the orchard. I used up the left-over herbicide in search-and-destroy for Canadian Thistle.

The rutabaga and carrot seedlings are up. No pictures. Without a good macro-lens the tiny plants disappear.

Southern Belle has several gigs lined up through the summer: A summer-camp job, two house-sitting gigs and so on. HH is working 40 hours a week. 

One thing I did not anticipate with a grandchild is that I will never have to hire a food-taster. Quicksilver keeps a very close eye on me. If I grab a plate or a bowl or open a package I feel tugging on the hem of my shorts. She can  be very persuasive.

Todd Marriott, one of the local fixtures in the Eaton Rapids community passed away this past weekend. Both of Todd's kids were very active in sports. It was a rare athletic event where Todd, his wife Patti and his grandparents were not in attendance.

Mr Marriott worked at the VFW National Home. He was 60 at the time of his passing and will be missed by many.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of his loss. We've lost three out of our post in the last two weeks, one was 99 and a WWII vet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sixty seems a little young to go. Did he have substantial health issues? (Or was it the vaxx?)

    In any case, none of us knows when our last day will be. We each assume we have a certain amount of time left, but sometimes we don't.

    I am a dozen years beyond your late friends age. I always assumed I would live well into my nineties because most of my ancestors did. But anymore I don't assume anything. The most important thing is to love God and to be right with Him at all times.

    George True

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No details are available. He was not a small man so many are *assuming* it was a heart attack or stroke.

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.