Monday, June 12, 2023

Air-layering grapes

I am always fiddling with the composition of my orchard and vineyard. Sometimes it is because trees or vines die. Sometimes it is because I become unhappy with a variety that struck my fancy and I over planted. Sometimes it is because my managment style or objectives changed and a given variety doesn't fit as well as it used to.

For instance, the southern-most row in my vineyard was planted mostly to Swenson Red grape. It proved more susceptible to diseases and has a tendency to over-crop if I don't cluster thin. On the other hand, I have three types of seedless grapes in the row that I want more of.

One cane of a seedless grape that is partially shaded by a pear tree. I don't expect much fruit from this cane. Notice the clusters of unopened flowers that will become bunches of grapes.

Those bunches, if allowed to flower, will become carbohydrate sinks. I want those carbs to grow roots. I also stripped the two leaves closest to last-year's cane. The roots strike most easily from new wood and from near the nodes (leaf scar).

For the purposes of experimentation and entertainment, I have an almost endless supply of slightly used, disposable diapers. Well, why not? I intend to wrap these packages of super-absorbent polymer crystals and...ummm, liquid fertilizer.
My initial impression is that the disposable diapers are exceptionally easy to handle in out in the vineyard.

6 comments:

  1. ERJ

    What are those varieties of seedless grapes? Why do you want more of them? Where does one source them?
    Asking because our many children prefer seedless to our current white grapes.

    Also, how do the vines absorb the urea supplements? Inquiring minds want to know.

    Did HH try the cajun red bean recipe?

    -john
    Kaw River Valley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adequately supported, the diaper would work. If it twists on the vine it will tear the new roots loose. My recollection is they get heavy as they absorb more moisture. Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, Ken went there. I claim the high road for once. Roger

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.