Friday, June 23, 2023

Phones: Down the rabbit-hole

So, I asked my buddy Jim "Do you think Com-China installed kill-switches in the smartphones they manufacture?"

What a can of worms.

If a fellow was the least bit paranoid and disliked change, if he needed a new phone and just wanted one that will work with a minimum of hassle and no bells-and-whistles...it is a cluster-festival.

Jim said "Get an iPhone"

Most Android platforms only offer system updates for two years. After that, if a security issue is uncovered you need to buy a new phone since the old system will not be "patched". For Apple, it is more like five year.

For what it is worth, my current phone is a 2014 model.

Some players in the Android universe are pushing the system updates to three, perhaps even four years. Samsung and Qualcomm (maker of Snapdragon processors inside of many smartphones) are examples.

A complication is that mid and lower-tier Android phones are shipped with older releases of Android (Android 11 or 12) while the $500-to-$800 dollar, bleeding-edge phones are released with Android 13. Android will not be maintained for two years after you purchase your phone. It will be maintained for two-years after it was released.

Another point if Apple's favor is that Apple is much slower to share data with government entities. Google (owner of Android) is much more aggressive about sucking up personal data and selling it.

That is entirely different issue than the kill-switch that might, or might-not be in phones shipped from China.

There are not very many mid-range phones NOT made in China. Nokia makes some. Kyocera makes (or made) some.

Carriers

I switched from Verizon to Tracfone because Verizon was expensive and I my communication needs were easily met with a $20/month Tracfone plan.

In looking at new phones I learned that Verizon purchased Tracfone and now only supports Verizon capable phones. That vastly shrinks the phone models that Tracfone will activate and support. For instance, there are almost no "rugged" phones that will run on Verizon.

Pretty much painted into a corner

I really don't want to change carriers because I am not sure I can take my phone number with me. Informing friends (all two of them) and family of a new phone number is a pain.

I don't want to have to pay $250 for a "rugged" flip-phone that is Verizon compatible (although I have nothing against flip-phones).

I don't want to have to learn a new operating system (Apple).

I am turning into a grumpy, old man.

11 comments:

  1. Being paranoid,
    I am always cautious when I restart my phone.
    I remember a certain country slipping explosive phones into known terrorists hands then when the voice is right.... boom.
    What if everyone's phone died at the same time.
    If you were looking at your phone when it restarted and just enough material had been installed to blind or injure you, and it was done simutaniously to 300 million people. Well I'm just paranoid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure if many phones had any amount of explosives in them, they'd be found at the airport in short order.

      They alerted on my shoes a few years ago, the day after I'd fertilized the lawn...

      Delete
  2. Only have a land line. So peaceful. Also have a nice quiet shovel, bow rake, and push hoe. Plus a cordless hammer. I did finally get a makita driver and drill pair — the brace and bit was a bit awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Best, Most Secure Smartphones for Privacy: A Summary

    Devices from Apple, Google, and Samsung are some of the most-used phones in the world. While each has its own security features, there are better options for the privacy and security conscious. The most secure phones come from some lesser-known manufacturers but include features like built-in crypto wallets, custom VPNs, and physical kill switches. Here are our top 5 most secure smartphones:

    1. Blackphone PRIVY 2.0: Top-level security
    2. Sirin Labs Finney U1: Best for crypto users
    3. Bittium Tough Mobile C: Best for private key management
    4. Purism Librem 5: Best for maximum security
    5. Sirin Solarin: Best for preventing incoming threats


    ReplyDelete
  4. It's call 'number porting'. Carriers are required to allow you to keep your number. Even if you're moving to another carrier old one can not refuse to give it up. Something held within the same company like Verizon to TracPhone may take a day or so. Something more dramatic like Verizon to Sprint may take couple days longer. If where you're getting your new phone from says they can't do it, they don't know how, or they're lying.
    Only other issue (you probably already know) is Verizon communications protocol is CDMA, AT&T/Sprint is GSM. Have to make sure you get the right phone for the right system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan is correct. Your number can be ported to any carrier. It is, actually, a law. One of the very few things the FCC did right in the last 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have to have a phone, try using Google Fi Service; it's android, reliable, and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visible.com
    Verizon towers, ZERO customer service. Like, zero.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… 3-4 hours/day ...95 bucks every hour…..> https://www.pay.salary49.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my experience, update availability varies widely for Android, even for the same manufacturer.
    It is up to them to decide if, or how long, to support a phone.
    Also note that there are some Android phones designed to be more secure that others, enough so that some government agencies specifically chose them over Apple, which (unfortunately in my opinion) the choice of many companies and agencies.

    I don't agree that Apple is less likely to share information with the government - I believe they have better PR about it.

    My work phone is an Apple and I find it much harder to use and less flexible than an Android.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We’ve used Tracfones for years. Cheap cost, easy to use anywhere, and we only use them if we’re off the farm. No texting, no internet, just used to make a call. I really hope the service doesn’t change. Thanks for the news.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.