Thursday, July 21, 2022

The Phantom Benefactor strikes again

These posts have been relatively popular with readers.

The backstory is that one of my readers sleuthed out my address and started sending me "care packages". He has been sending me books (mostly) and assorted artifacts that he thinks might help the ERJ clan in the coming spicy times.

If nothing else, it is fascinating perspective into another person's thought processes.

With no further ado:

These are the first two books I am tackling.








The top item is a harmonica to go with the instructions

The phantom is also a craftsman



The top item is a trammel hook and was used by the cook to adjust the heat when cooking over an open or semi-enclosed fire. You might recognize these tools if you are a fan of Townsends cooking channel on Youtube

He even included a Tee-shirt

Note from the management: Today and tomorrow will be busy with assorted chores and blogging will be light.

9 comments:

  1. My dentist has a slew of them tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be living right, friend. I do admire the selections your phantom is donating to you.

    Indeed I want to research and BUY some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I'd thought of this when I had to pack up and move from a 4000 sq ft farmhouse to an 800 sq ft townhouse, following work. The books I fed into the dumpster still haunts me. It would have been less painful to pay the postage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just did the same and ran across some books in hubby's library. I sent emails listed to a couple of blogs knowing that they had a particular interest in the subject matter. Nope, not one resonse.so they are going to local library for next book sale. Problem is they sell left overs to a pulp person. One is a book from 1838 and thinking that's being destroyed is my nightmare.

      Delete
    2. What is the 1838 book out of curiosity? Also, perhaps ebay or Craigslist? I’ve sold a number of books on eBay. I get a couple bucks & know it’s going to a good home.

      Delete
  4. "Eric Sloane" (Everard Hinrichs) wrote and illustrated several books about early American technology, as well as painting some seriously large murals in the National Air and Space Museum. In my mind I sort of lump his body of work with that of Edwin Tunis.

    Great books to have in the library, especially if there are young'uns to be edified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that book, the Museum of Early American Tools. I also had the Diary of an Àmerican Boy by Sloane, but I sent it to my teenage grandson who's shown an interest in carpentry.

      Delete
    2. Great books, both of those, I have both of them and some others.

      Delete
  5. https://shopammos.com
    Winchester primers come in WSP, WLP, WSR, and WLR flavors – small pistol, large pistol, small rifle and large rifle. They use the same primer for standard and magnum loads, which in essence means they are all magnum primers, and they act that way on a chronograph, with larger standard deviation in velocity than I get with a standard primer from CCI.
    https://shopammos.com/product/winchester-turkey-l-beard-12ga-36/

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.