|Not an impressive "take" on my seedlings|
This year I got lazy and did not walk the 120 feet to the sawdust pile. I covered the seeds with common potting soil.
As soon as I had verified that I was in trouble, I replanted the problem cells and planted a second tray.
|Yup, the problem was because I did not use sawdust.|
This cost me about a week but I could be worse. I planted this hybrid July 21 last year and still got a crop so I am about a week ahead of last year, even with my mistake.
I put in a few end-posts for the tomato trellis this morning. I was heartened to see how much moisture was available two feet down.
If I had to terra-form a planet, I would make the areas near the village a 3 percent grade with sandy-loam in the top 18" and then a layer of silty or clay-loam about two feet down.
I planted three varieties this year.
One was suggested by Pascal, Belladonna's boyfriend. He is proficient at conversational Korean (interesting hobby, that). The other two were throw-a-dart at the catalog choices.
All told, I planted about 100 feet of row with much of it interplanted in the watermelon patch. My thinking is that the two plants can coexist. The first frost will level the melons and the radishes should flourish over the next month.
New (for us) furniture
The ERJ family will soon be the owners of some new (for us) furniture.
That is one of the perks of being an empty-nester. The old furniture sustained a great deal of wear-and-tear over the last twenty years. It owes us nothing although I think we will have one Laz-e-boy recliner reupholstered. It was a gift from Mrs ERJ's father forty years ago and still has good bones. It was made back when they used straight-grained sugar maple and screws rather than press-board, staples and hot-melt glue.