Sunday, January 19, 2020

Primitive Technology website

I don't know if I am inherently curious or just paranoid.

I like to keep an eye on my back-trail.

Maybe it is because the best piece of advice I got as a Boy Scout was to always look backwards. It is easy to get lost if you don't. The tree or rocks that are so distinctive from one direction are likely to be anonymous from the other. By looking at your back-trail on a regular basis (especially when you are twenty paces past a fork in the path) you greatly enhance your chances of being able to find your way back home.

The site that hosts this blog offers various statistics. One of those statistics involves the site the viewers jumped from (cookies). The curious part of me wonders, "What else do my readers enjoy learning about?"

That is how I found the Primitive Technology site. Somebody who visited this blog had been reading an article at Primitive Technology before they jumped over.

If you want to give it a look, focus on content rather than presentation or format. Their format is vintage 1997. Their content, on the other hand, is AWESOME. Here are a smattering of links that caught my eye:

What to Teach Kids and Why
Geriatric Friction Fire
Primitive Cooking
Other Types of Atlatls: Loop, Fork and Cord
Ice Glue
Atlatl Flexibility Analysis
Random Thoughts on Tradition vs. Technology
Brain Tanned Buffalo Hides
Black Dye
Cordage in North America
Birch Bark Tar
The Iceman's Belt
Coppicing
Dogbane (Apocynum cannabinum) - Cordage Fibers 
Acorn Granaries of California
Wilderness Survival Skills
The Miracle of Steel Heat Treatment
Silverware Deadfall
Interesting Links

This list is about 5% of the links on the site. The list is more of a diagonal slice than a comprehensive listing. If any of the subjects appeal to you, pop on over and see if you like the writing.

-ERJ

1 comment:

  1. Oh, great. Just when I think I got ahead of the Internet.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.