Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Persimmons are blooming!

I stole the title from True Blue Sam the Traveling Man.

He lives in Southern Illinois and his persimmons were blooming May 19.  I live about 270 miles north of him.  My persimmons are blooming 26 days later at 1240 GDD (B42).  I guess you could say, the from the perspective of persimmon trees, spring proceeds northward at 10 miles a day.

The internet is running like poop.  I will add pictures later.

It is still drier than a popcorn fart around here.  Much rain massed in Wisconsin.  There is no guarantee it will show up here.  It seems like much of the energy in the storms are sucked out of them as they pass over the cooler Lake Michigan.  Weather out of the south is more reliable than storms tracking out of the west...at least during the months of May and June.

Update on rain
The northwest corner of the county got 2" of rain.  My rain buckets tell me we got about a tenth of an inch.

I don't begrudge the folks in Sunfield Township their rain.  Their farmers are hurting, too.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info, Joe! I have always figured about 100 miles per week, but now we have good numbers applied to real trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, there were persimmon trees on my dad's land. I remember the fruit was great if it was golden reddish orange, but God help you if you bit into one that wasn't ripe. It was like a shot of Novocaine.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.