Thursday, March 16, 2023

Poor-man's Kelly Kettle

 

The sticks are to lift the bottom and allow a draft.
A 5"-to-4" reducer, a sleeve because the pressed-on aluminum star was more than 4" in diameter. The fire was a paraffin soaked cotton ball. Bottle painted black to facilitate IR temperature measurements.

What is encouraging is that two of these wax-soaked cotton-balls have enough heating value to raise a liter of water almost to boiling, certainly high enough to kill almost all of the bad-nasty bacteria and virus. Wax soaked cotton balls are easy to carry.

These cotton balls are the devil to light. I think I need to make paraffin-wax soaked "dumplings" where I have paper-towel as the shell.

I put the cotton ball on top of an empty tuna can, bottom-side up.

Starting temperature of 1 liter of water was 56F and final temperature was 132F.

In round numbers, paraffin wax has a heating value of about 45 BTU/gram*. If I had 100% efficiency, I should have been able to raise the temperature of 2 pounds of water by 207 degree F. Since I only achieved 76 degrees, I have 37% efficiency with this setup and this degree of breeze.

I will remake this run several times to determine the scatter and see if I can tweak the draft.

I am going to keep messing around and see if I can break-down which factors contribute the most...or maybe it is a systems thing where the effect of the parts working together is greater than the sum of the parts.

*It is considered a sin to mix SI and English units.

21 comments:

  1. I suspect the paraffin soaked cotton ball inherently burn inefficiently.

    I carry fueled cotton balls as great fire-starters, but to heat water I'd use one ball as a starter then feed it with dry twigs and the like.

    Collect dead evergreen twigs from trees and while you're at it, fresh needles for vitamin-C rich tea (rumored to have mild antiseptic properties of its own).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Just looking at it…why don’t you go with an alcohol stove Joe?

      Delete
    2. AND WASTE GOOD HOOCH!?!?!

      Delete
    3. For now I am using paraffin to make it easier to calculate "Heat in" which I need for efficiency calcs.

      This just an old guy (me) puttering around.

      The other thing is that it rarely gets hot enough in Michigan to where I need to worry about the wax leaking.

      Delete
    4. Was the mass of the heated vessel taken into account when you calculated the efficiency numbers?

      Delete
  2. We made little heating stoves from a tuna can with semi-tightly rolled cardboard soaked with paraffin wax. They actually throw out quite a bit of heat. The cardboard needs to be ripped into a strip slightly taller than the height of the can so you have a wick to light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outside should be taller, plus needs to have insulation sleeve. My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a camping stove called the Zip stove, using a battery powered unit to fan the twig fuel flames to high speed burn. Perhaps something of this nature could heat things up ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Later on,I realized that the same principle for heating water is used for the Swiss Army Volcano stove.

      Delete
  5. Put a collar around the top. less space for the air and heat to escape. cut that area by about 70% and you will get better heat transfer because you will slow the exhaust down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, same here with cotton balls as starters to feed twigs/small sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A heat sleeve increases the heat for all manner of pots and pans. Just makes handling the pot a little more tricky.

    https://www.notechmagazine.com/?s=cooking

    Ecclesiastes 1:9
    New International Version
    9 What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "some people" say it is a sin to mix units; in the real world it happens all the time.
    And not just in the US - British drivers calculate fuel mileage in liters per gallon.
    And I'd you really want to follow the arbitrary rules, you would call it cgs and bgs, not SI or English.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clearance priced ethanol based hand sanitizer is my new go-to fuel/Firestarter. For a while it was free with rebate at the Maynerds really big box store ...
    Just a little southwest of Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Half of all communists are eunuchs

      Delete
    2. Are you trying to get me to argue against communist eunuchs? 'cause I won't.

      Delete
  11. I think you've sacrificed a lot of the KK's functionality. Can you pick it up and pour water out, refill it, set it back down on the fire? The KK has a bail handle and a chain that both holds the kettle cap, and also gives you something to pull on in order to tilt the kettle for pouring. Plus, because the chimney is in the middle, you can perch cooking pans on the top - it comes with a rack for this purpose - and cook as you heat the water. You know - you should consider just buying the damn kettle.

    camelcamelcamel.com is your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make firestarters for the wood stove by compressing a mixture of melted paraffin and pine sawdust in a mini-muffin pan. Might be hard to calculate BTUs but it makes enough heat to start two large split logs in the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  13. $26,000 or even more is very simple and easy to earns while staying and working online. start receiving paychecks every month simply by doing work online.

    Just open the link———->>>  Www.Coins71.Com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I quit my office job and now I am getting paid 90 Dollars hourly. How? I work over the internet! My old work was making me miserable, y6 so I was forced to try-something different. 2 years later...I can say my life is changed completely for the better!
    Check it out what i do Click This Link.. AmericanWorthIncome

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.