Saturday, January 21, 2023

Paranoid? Who, me?

XYZ Plasma Company has informed me that it has adopted this Acknowledgement of Biometric Policy and Consent Form to address how it may use biometric equipment (“Equipment”) for identity verification. I understand that the Equipment may scan my finger, hand, face, retina, iris or voice (“Biometric Identifier”) to obtain an encrypted mathematical algorithm or code (“Biometric Information”) which will be used to confirm my identity. The policy set forth below explains how XYZ Plasma and/or its biometric equipment vendors (“Vendors”) may collect, use, store, disclose and destroy this Biometric Information.

I understand that: (1) the Equipment will scan my finger (or other Biometric Identifier) to create an encrypted Biometric Information; (2) thereafter, each time I use the Equipment, my finger (or other Biometric Identifier) will be scanned and compared to the Biometric Information created by the initial scan; (3) my Biometric Identifier is not stored by XYZ Plasma or its Vendors; and (4) my Biometric Information is collected, used and stored in the Equipment, but it is encrypted and cannot be reverse engineered to return it to its original form.

I understand that my Biometric Information will be used for identity verification purposes and will be destroyed no later than one (1) year after the date that I have ceased to attempt to donate my plasma at XYZ Plasma for six (6) consecutive months. I also understand that XYZ Plasma and its Vendors will use a reasonable standard of care if they store or transmit my Biometric Information as they do with other confidential information and my Biometric Information may be accessible by XYZ Plasma and its Vendors only.

 

CPU-FORM-000186595 V1.0

I investigated the possibility of "donating" (more accurately "selling") my plasma to a large, commercial collector of such.

As I was in-processed, I was baffled by the effort that was put into taking my "identification picture" which I assumed was for the file or for a card. The woman taking the picture really went into contortions making sure the doorknob was not in the picture which seemed very strange at the time.

Unlike most of the new donors, I actually read the seven documents they gave me to read AFTER she took my picture.

The terms of the "release of responsibility" for Biometric Data was a non-starter for me.

The language about "we do not store your data...it is in the equipment..." is the same as saying "we do not collect your personal data...we put in a file..." Total bullshit intended to mislead people as is the meaningless term "reasonable standard of care..." with regard to data security.

And what is with the bullshit word "...may..." in the context they store or transmit my Biometric Information as they do with other confidential information and my Biometric Information may be accessible by XYZ Plasma and its Vendors only. Given rudimentary knowledge of English grammar, it also means they are informing me that my "confidential information" might be available to other-than XYZ and Venders ONLY. "...may..." is a very different word than "...shall..." and every lawyer knows it.

Another red-flag for me was "Vendors" which can be a very flexible term. "I dub thee Sir Vendor, now pay me $9999 and take the thumb-drive". The text is silent on "third party" vendors, that is, parties that the main vendor subcontracts work to. The fact that the document is silent about them probably means they can be considered extensions of the original vendor and thus are identical to the Vendor.

A third red-flag was that I was prohibited from taking a hard-copy of the document home with me. A "Release" is a contract and it is customary for both parties who agree to a contract get a copy of it. I was not born yesterday. I looked the documents over and there were no Copyright notices on any of them...and I took a picture. I did not sign it. I walked out without donating.

I think I am hosed on the photo.

14 comments:

  1. Have you tried donating plasma?

    It involves heating your body parts to a temperature so high that the electrons stop orbiting the protons and neutrons.

    Not only will you get $80 but it will make your body tingle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Always give a 100% except when you're donating blood"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might BE paranoid, ERJ - and in this instance you were very nearly paranoid enough.
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a few simple rules.

    One of them is to not provide anything, for any sum, that would ordinarily require of me a court order to furnish.

    F' em...and all those horses they rode in on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sad. I have been a blood doner for a long time. Not anymore. Or probably not an anything donor. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
  6. For what reason could biometric data possibly be needed to donate plasma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly to ensure that if bad things are found swimming in the plasma (HIV or Herpes virus, for example) the the correct person was informed and banned from future donations.

      Plasma donations are very attractive to people with limited ability to properly discount the future costs of risky transactions (written in code) because they pay you before you walk out of the door. THere is no two-week waiting period before you get paid like most jobs have.

      Because the immediate payment is so attractive, banned donors have been known to get a fake ID and try to donate again. Testing is pretty good, but there is always a chance their product could enter inventory and be used.

      Delete
    2. The fake ID makes sense ERJ. It has been some years since I donated blood, and I do not remember that level of documentation.

      Delete
  7. If that were the case, they wouldn’t allow vaccinated people to donate blood, would they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interestingly the Red Cross added a question to the regular screening - 'Have you ever had a COVID-19 vaccination?'. Since I always answer no I'm not sure what limitations there may be.

    Also regarding plasma donations. If you are being paid for your plasma you are not donating. You are selling.

    At my last Red Cross blood donation I talked with the tech about payment and plasma. She said that the plasma collected by 'paying' collectors was used in cosmetics and the like, so non-medical. A little searching shows that is not entirely true although any medical use of commercial plasma appears to be in medications using processed plasma components and not the plasma directly.

    The Red Cross states that plasma they collect is used in emergency and trauma situations. So direct use of the donated plasma in the patient.

    I had always thought it was illegal to pay for blood donations but apparently it isn't. Hospitals just have a policy of doing transfusions with 'donated' blood.

    There is a real concern that paying for 'donations' skews the process in a harmful way. I.e. the donor is ill or otherwise compromised or they are coerced. For example, I personally am skeptical that China has 'volunteers' for all of the organ transplants that occur there.

    I think paying for blood, plasma, and organ donations (at least at death) would greatly increase the supply and be a benefit to many. It is difficult to balance the potential for coercion. There are problems with the current 'waiting list' approach to organs as well with less deserving (in my view) candidates receiving organs over others.

    I do think that we should donate blood to the Red Cross and other similar blood banks if we medically can. It saves lives and it might be you who needs it at some point. It is a quick (one hour tops from in the door to back to my car) visit once every 8 weeks.

    Finally, at least the Red Cross donor privacy policy reads without any of the vague double talk that ERJ found at the plasma center.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve had been given my initial check widespread of $15,550, pretty cool. i’m therefore excited, this can be the quantity only once i truly attained something. zx02) i’m progressing to art work even additional robust new and that i can’t look ahead to next week payment. move to home tab for more detail…….
    I principally recommend to everybody to apply…
    ==== www.EarnCash7.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are counting on people NOT reading the contract... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a Pureblood, I am interested in selling my blood or plasma. It's a rare commodity nowadays.

    But I'm not interested in getting my DNA tracked again.

    Freaking DOD got some when I was active duty.

    So immana read the boilerplate real close because your blog is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How much do they pay for the plasma?
    They may be able to sell your genetic information for as much or more than the plasma...

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.