Saturday, January 21, 2023

Outmaneuvered

 

"Joe, how much would a nice a display cabinet for your fishing rods cost?" Mrs ERJ asked, her voice dripping with sugar bon-bons and honey.

Me, dinking around on my laptop. "I dunno. Maybe $300 to a $1000 depending on the features."

"You have more than one or two fishing rods. Would you need two of them?" she asked.

Scratching my head over Mrs ERJ's sudden interest in my hobby of collecting and using fishing rods, I admitted "It would be pretty handy to have at least two of them. I could put the spinning rods in one cabinet and the rimfires in the other."

But then, we do have a little bit more discretionary budget now that all four kids are fully out of the house. Not $20k to redo the kitchen but a little bit here and there to protect the assets we already have.

"So you think $2000 would be a good investment to protect those fishing rods you have spent all of these years collecting?" Mrs ERJ asked.

"Well, when you put it that way, I think it would be a darned excellent idea" I said. When God gives you an enthusiastic spouse a man is a fool to quench that energy.

"Well, I found some bookshelves for a lot less money than that..." she said, her voice sparkling with joy.

"I have been collecting books for much longer than you have been collecting fishing rods" she informed me.

Check-mate!

18 comments:

  1. Nice looking book shelf. Your fishing rods were lost at the bottom of a river in a boating accident anyway. Roger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget the times when I was fishing at the bridge and had just put my pole down for a second when I hooked a big catfish or carp or bull-shark.

      Delete
  2. How many rimfire fishing rods do you have?
    sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Universal answer: One less than I need. That has remained constant for as long as I have been fishing.

      Delete
    2. Read a 1910 primer on outdoor kits. Paragraph in there about getting caught with a new addition to your collection by your wife and challenge of explaining it. 1910. Little is new under the sun. Roger

      Delete
  3. Positional warfare, a moment to learn, a lifetime to master!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With your handyman skills, it ought to be no problem modifying that bookshelf into a functional fishing rod display.
    Milton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking in the other direction. We could buy the fishing rod cabinets and she could put books in them. No dice.

      Books can be hollowed out and flatfish lures and sinkers can be stored in them. Still, it is not quite the same.

      Delete
  5. "Here we see the lure moving quickly through the water. The fish's interest has been engaged, as you can see in its definitive change in direction and movement. It is only a matter of time before the hook is set..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many times I’ve felt like a cat following a red laser pointer. Why didn’t I look where I was going er, being directed. And I’m smart, right?

    MF
    Boy bookcases are expensive. But milk crates screwed into studs….

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were outsmarted quite well... show us on the doll where it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a trap.

    As nice as an L-shape ambush as I've seen in quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You deserve what you got. "... display cabinet for your fishing rods..." was the "dog that did not bark in the night."

    One does not display fishing rods, one secures them away from the curious and ignorant, revealing their existence only at the moment when fish must be caught.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve had been given my initial check widespread of $15,550, pretty cool. i’m therefore excited, this can be the quantity only once i truly attained something. zx05) i’m progressing to art work even additional robust new and that i can’t look ahead to next week payment. move to home tab for more detail…….
    I principally recommend to everybody to apply…
    ==== www.EarnCash7.com

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.