Friday, January 13, 2023

A walk in the woods with a five-year-old and Roses

Southern Belle and Belladonna invited a mutual friend over for dinner last night.

The young woman had a new infant and a five year-old boy. The young man wanted to see our cattle.

He was willing to try a persimmon which he said was "OK". I probably ruined the moment when he asked me what it was called. The fruit was in a semi-raisinlike state. I told him it was "a booger tree". He mentioned several times that the taste had not left his mouth as we continued the trek to the back of the property.

Heading back through the brush I suggested he close his eyes. Then I told him to point to the house.

He didn't have a clue.

Then I told him to point toward the barking dog. I could see the light-bulb go off. Zeus was letting us know where "home" was. The kid could clearly differentiate between Zeus's bark and the other neighbor dogs.

I told him "God gave us five senses and expects us to use them all."

Then we came across a tree with some Oyster Mushrooms on it. That is when he dazzled me. He knew about Chicken-of-the-woods and Destroying Angels and was able to describe them and tell me a little bit about them.

I asked him where he had learned that.

He said "Youtube".

It is nice to know that some kids are using the tool in a useful way.

Roses

I am still looking at native, wild roses for inclusion in the hedge along the east boundary of the pasture.

I originally keyed this out as Rosa carolina based on the two sizes of thorns and their slender, needle-like shape but now I am not so sure.

Rosa palustris? If you look closely you will see a bird nest slightly below and to the right of the center of the image. Lots of hips on this specimen

I spy with my very own eyes...evidence inside of the bird nest that something is eating those hips

Nice crop of hips on this clone.

I will have to attempt to take some cuttings.

6 comments:

  1. That was kind of you, ERJ. Still such an age of wonder is available to us all, if only we will not lose our wonder or become cynical too quickly.

    (Booger tree. Hah! Not that much off the mark at certain times of the year)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan. Grandfather of twelve.January 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM

    Regarding the five year old, one of my Grandsons is a researcher of information. He gets curious about something and finds out about it. As I like to read and to find out about things, how they work, what they mean. I hope some of my genetics passed on to him. His dad’s only passion is sports. His mother, my daughter, is an artist in her own right. Both are pretty intelligent people. Anyway, thank you for the insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for the boy! Learning can never begin too early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real on the web home based work to make more than 14k dollars. Last month I made fifteen thousand US dollars from this home j0b. d16 Very simple and easy to do and procuring from this are just awesome.
    For more detail visit the given interface…… www.EarnCash7.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good lesson on listening... my dad taught me, at a very young age, that if I got 'lost' in the woods, to stop and listen for cars on the highway. I'm sure that there are plenty of expanses in this great country where that would not be especially helpful, but I'm not certain that I've ever been anywhere in the eastern US where 'sounds of civilization' wouldn't lead me out of unfamiliar forest.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.