Monday, January 9, 2023

Heller and Shannon: Catfished

Heller’s phone started ringing at 1:36 in the morning. That is never a good thing.

Shannon woke up more quickly than Heller. His bedroom was still “not home”. It had different sounds and different smells. She slept more lightly because of it.

Heller wasn’t far behind Shannon in waking up. He reached out and answered the call.

“Mmm, yup. Hello?” he addressed the caller, the sleep in his eyes making it difficult to read the caller-id.

The effect on what he heard was galvanizing. “Rusty was in an accident?” he asked for confirmation.

“Which hospital?” he asked.

Shannon could hear “Sparrow” from the distraught woman speaking with Heller.

After a half-minute of listening to the woman, Heller said, “I will be there as soon as I can” and then hung up.

“Damn, damn and double-damn!” Heller exclaimed as he turned on the light and started pulling on clothes.

“What happened?” Shannon asked.

“Rusty is one of the guys I work with. In fact, I went to school with him. Known him since sixth-grade. We played ball together” Heller said.

“He hit the big oak tree at the Welfare-Charlotte-Cutoff and his mom said that he isn’t expected to survive. The doctor said they will probably ask her to pull-the-plug in the morning.”

“She wants one other person there. Another set of ears. A shoulder to cry on” Heller said.

“That sucks” Shannon said sympathetically, but wondering why Heller sounded so ...angry.

“Seems odd that he would be driving this late at night on a Tuesday, though?” Shannon said.

“It wasn’t an accident” Heller said with certainty.

“How can you know that?’ Shannon asked.

“ ‘cause about ten years ago we were driving around and drinking a few beers when we drove around that bend and Rusty said ‘If I ever have to end-it-all, its gonna be that tree right there” Heller said.

“But why would would Rusty want to commit suicide?” Shannon asked, horrified.

“Because Rusty got sucked in by a “Catfisher”. We tried to warn him. She was too good to be true. But Rusty couldn’t hear it” Heller said.

“What is a “Catfisher”” Shannon wanted to know.

“It is somebody who pretends to be somebody they are not on the internet. Usually to scam money from some lonely guy” Heller informed her.

Shannon, in many ways, was very naive.

“So...did that happen to Rusty? About the money, I mean?” Shannon asked.

“He took out a mortgage on his house. Financed it to the hilt and sent it to her. Hell, I don’t even know if it is a “her”. Rusty said she was a war-widow in the Ukraine and needed the money to bribe Russian guards and buy a plane ticket” Heller said, despair in his voice.

“And he believed her?” Shannon said with disbelief.

“Hook, line and sinker” Heller said. “We tried to talk him out of it but he WANTED to believe her” Heller said.

“I am guessing that the love of his life just evaporated and left him owing a mountain of money and feeling like a total fool” Heller said.

*

Heller was not home by the time Shannon had to leave for work.

She was mostly going through the motions at work, which was fine because it was a slow day and Shannon was good enough at her job that she could run at 40% and it was plenty good-enough.

In the middle of the morning she asked her new boss “Mr. Barker, do you know anything about “Catfishing” and scams?”

Her boss said “You can call me ‘Fred’ when there are no customers around. But yes, as a matter of fact I know quite a bit about ‘Catfishing’. It is something we try to protect our customers from.”

“What do you want to know?” Fred asked.

“Well, how does it work? Why would anybody fall for it?” Shannon asked.

“Do you know anything about Pavlov’s Dogs?” Fred asked.

Shannon nodded. She had gone to college and taken the usual psychology classes. As a dog-lover she had paid close attention to Pavlov’s experiments.

“Then you know that neurons that fire together, wire together. Catfishers know that by pushing certain buttons in a certain order, some lonely men will become so immersed in a fantasy that they will be incapable of seeing the reality that the rest of us see” Fred told her.

“Most Catfishers play the Knight in Shining armor gambit. The let the target rescue them in little ways at first but then they keep reinforcing the behavior by asking for ever-bigger “favors” “ Fred said.

“Seems like what they are doing would be super-obvious” Shannon observed.

“It would, but they mix it up. They keep revealing little bits of information that seem intimate. They mix up the timing of how often they ask for a favor. A good Catfisher is very, very patient” Fred told her.

“I still don’t get it” Shanon said.

“Let me tell you about hunting for turkey” Fred said, warming up to one of his passions.

“No mortal human can sneak up on a wild turkey in the woods. But if you set-up a blind where turkeys feed and you are good at working a hen-turkey call, you can get the biggest tom-turkey in the woods to come to you” Fred said. “You just need to figure out how hen-turkeys sweet-talk when they want a little romance.”

“But how many lonely guys are actually out there?” Shannon said, still dubious.

“More than you think” Fred said. “But Catfishers scam lots of men who aren’t lonely, too. It is that wired-together thing. If the Catfisher pushes the right buttons then the target, called “the mark” in the trade, stops thinking with his brain and starts thinking with his emotions. He might not be very successful in real life but he can be a hero to his new romance-interest.”

“Why are you asking?” Fred wanted to know.

“One of my boy-friend’s best friends got scammed by a Catfisher” Shannon said.

“That is too bad. Unfortunately the police don’t have a very good record at being able to recover those funds” Fred informed her.

“In this case, it wouldn’t matter” Shannon said. “I got a text a half-hour ago that his buddy had successfully committed suicide.”

20 comments:

  1. I get six or eight of those emails a day. It is certainly out there. The delete button is your friend. Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my coworkers got 'fished' last year. Party claimed that they could make him big time money 'investing' and proved it with small amounts sent with fantastic returns.

    Coworker sent more and more of his retirement $$$, when suddenly no contacts returned. Since it was voluntarily sent, he had little chance to press charges. He got took BAD. He is nearing retirement and wanted to boost his savings. Unfortunately, that did not work out for him.

    If it sounds too good to be true ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making more than ninety an hour working from home. i was greatly surprised at the same time as my neighbour advised me she changed into averaging $ninety five however I see the way it works now. I experience mass freedom now that I'm my non-public boss.
    Here is what I have been doing.. www.Payathome7.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sweetheart!

      Thanks for so generously supplying us with an example of a catfisher.

      Delete
    2. I just knew, reading this story, that there would be one of these here. You beat me to it.

      Delete
    3. This is so rich I laughed. How appropriate the Nigerian Sarah E. shows up. Its ears must of been burning.

      Delete
  4. I had not heard the term before, ERJ. This stuff is so ubiquitous (See the above post) that I scarcely think about it now. Foolish on my part; it obviously is somewhat successful as people still continue to do it. With devastating results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being one of the 'chronologically advantaged' readers here, I'm in awe of the many people that think the internet is real. I know that also applies to members of my own generation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think about this too. I'm the perfect mark for this type of scam, and I know it. I somehow got a full load of honor, white knight type, mod 1 mk 1. I've been taken a few times, but nothing serious, and never online. I have a family member that I can help that is safe and doesn't take advantage of me.

    Catfishing can also be applied to an XX pretending to be XY that ain't one, or a person that puts up a different picture than what they look like. I've heard online dating stories the would curdle blood. Imagine going to pick up a cute guppy and only to find out they're a blue whale, or a great white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. getting an education.
    never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's very sad, I'm somewhat surprised I never had anybody try this on me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you don't start with a skeptical mindset it is all to easy to be scammed. A long time ago I was given a critical question about online investment advice: "If this method works so well why are you telling ME?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly.
      I've had people ask me about investment adds on Facebook; my response is "if it's so great, why do they have to advertise on Facebook?".

      Delete
  10. It doesn't just happen to individuals. Our entire government has been "catfished" by the Ukrainians.
    But our neocon intelligence community/Deep State did it to them first. The 2014 Color Revolution was quite the set up. So really just layers of catfishing in series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’ve got my first check total of $15,550, pretty cool. I am so excited, this is the first time i Actually earned something. I am going to work even harder new and i can’t wait for next week payment. Go to home tab for more detail…….I highly recommend to everyone to apply… ====►►► Www.SmartCash1.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Anglia, count me in! Hahaha

      Delete
    2. The irony of being catfished while reading about catfishing.

      Delete
  12. There are times that being old and highly cynical pays off. I've seen a lot of con games over the years. That's what we used to call catfishing. And catfishers were con artists. They've been around since the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am profiting (400$ to 500$/hr )online from my workstation. A month ago I GOT chek of about 30k$, this online work is basic and direct, don't need to go OFFICE, Its home online activity. By then this work opportunity is fbegin your work....★★

    Copy Here→→→ Www.SmartCash1.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joe, you should have met my Dad. The man lived to turkey hunt. I've watch him walk up on a flock of turkeys in the woods and gun one down. Didn't taste like chicken!

    Me, I don't have the patience to be a good turkey hunter. Best I can do is shoot them in the grocery store. I get some odd looks from people. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.