Wednesday, November 16, 2022

God Bless Small Towns

Today included two trips to Detroit Metro Airport.

One by Mrs ERJ to pick up Southern Belle and Quicksilver. Their plane from Miami landed at 4:00PM.

I also made a trip to Detroit Metro to pick up Belladonna at 7:00PM when she arrived from Nashville. We got back to Casa ERJ about 9:00.

Pulling into the driveway, we noticed that Zeus was still in his kennel and Vinnie (Mrs ERJ's ride) was not in the garage. Something was not right.

Bella is quicker with her phone than I am. Visions of mayhem filled my head.

"Where are you?" Bella asked.

I heard Mrs ERJ's voice over the phone "We are in the house"

The story is that Vinnie Van Go become Vinnie Van Not-Go. Vinnie, faithful steed that he is, had carried them all the way from Detroit Metro to Downtown Eaton Rapids before blowing out the nipple that connected the heater-core coolant hose at the engine. I can forgive Vinnie. He has 295k on the odometer.

At one instant in time, there were three vehicles vectoring in to rescue Mrs ERJ, Southern Belle and Quicksilver, one driver was orbiting in stand-by mode*. Three strangers stopped to render aid...one offered to buy antifreeze, another to apply jumper cables and a third provided the diagnosis of the heater-hose nipple blowing out.

I know that Mrs ERJ is a comely lass and that may have had something to do with all of the help. But I think that a little bit of credit has to go to the nature of small towns.

All this on the second day of deer season. I can only imagine the traffic jam that would have resulted almost any other time of year.

*Thanks Jeff, Kris and Donna and Janet.


4 comments:

  1. I too like small towns. For the same reason. You may bump into someone at the grocer who saw your kid doing something, too.
    Funny, the antithesis also exists in small towns. When were shopping for land here, I used to do a 'test', sit on the country road in front of the place and see how long before a car comes down the road. Averages a half-hour where I am now. I thought that about right. So the day my truck battery died back in the pasture and I needed a jump took 1.5 hours. The first two cars were women driving solo (so's I can't really blame them for not stopping when all they could see was a strange man standing in the driveway waving jumper cables at Old Mrs. Kermicheles place).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister had a similar part blow. About four folks stopped to help over about thirty minutes. We crippled it home by filling it with water and leaving the rad cap loose so it couldn't build pressure. Farm education for the win! We stopped to refill about three times in 5 miles. That nipple was pressed in at the back of the valley. What a great design. Took me nearly a week to source the correct part.

    The really bad part was the unfortunate timing of a colon dump without warning AFTER the hose bib blew out. My poor sister... THAT was a hard day for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m making a decent compensation from home $60k/week , which is astonishing under a year prior I was jobless in a horrendous economy. I say thanks to God consistently I was honored with these guidelines and presently it’s my obligation to show preemptive kindness and offer it with Everyone,
    , GOOD LUCK.:)
    Here is I begun.… … ……>> LiveJob247

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no place better to live than in or near a small town. And when you get old it really shows. ---ken

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.