Sunday, November 13, 2022

A shift in the weather

 

Michigan's fire-arm deer season opens Tuesday.

Temperatures are going to slide. The wind-chill for Saturday morning (the first weekend) will be about 5 degrees F.

SAD

One of my readers asked how my Seasonal Affective Disorder was doing this year.

Short answer, manageable but not great. I seem to have an atypical version of it. I am most impacted by the days shortening, not the short days. I wonder if it is related to elections.  That is not a glib comment. Neurons that fire together, wire together.

Being outside seems to help. I think Dr ERJ needs to prescribe three hours a day outside, rain-or-shine.

Persimmons

I reached the conclusion that Lehman's Delight American Persimmon is good enough to be included in my "serious" orchard. I moved two grafted trees into holes in that orchard where other trees died.

Many cultivars get trialed as a grafted branch in the serious orchard but very few earn the privilege of owning the real-estate for one, full tree. Even fewer earned the right to have two specimens. Those that have made the cut include:

  • Liberty apple
  • GoldRush apple
  • Enterprise apple
  • Korean Giant pear
  • Chojuro pear
  • Shenandoah pear (but being flipped to Harrow Sweet and a four very late ripening pears)

To make the cut the tree must produce heavily, be easy to manage, have a long "window" when the fruit can be picked. It must have adequate quality.

Visitors

Southern Belle, our daughter from south-Florida will be visiting us and she will be bringing our only grandchild, Quicksilver.

I got to practice my dry-wall and electrical skills today. We had an electrical outlet that pulled out of the wall.

The new box and outlet are installed and the drywall replaced. Next is the finishing work which is about 75% of the work.

Coincidentally, Belladonna is down in Tennessee visiting a friend from high school.

Southern Belle is scheduled to arrive at Detroit Metro at 4:00 on Wednesday and Bella is scheduled to arrive at 7:00PM. With a baby in the mix, that warrants TWO trips to the airport.

What the heck. I will probably want a break on the second day of deer season anyway.

Does anybody have any opinions on raw deer liver for a baby's first solid food?

Cold-weather food

French fries, bacon or duck fat.

"...1/4" or waffle-cut Weston frozen fries..."

Suggested by A.W., a professional chef in wine-country, California.

Spam

Another question for my readers: Do you want me to moderate comments or can you tolerate AnnA and Glen Filthie's other girl-friends hitting on you?

My basic inclination is to not moderate. I suspect Alphabet gets some kind of cash-flow from the spammers who penetrate their filters. Alphabet does not charge me for the service (the Blogger platform) they supply. I do not begrudge the dog the crumbs from the table, the gleaners the grain in the corners of the field nor the oxen the occasional mouthful of grain that they tread.


12 comments:

  1. I woke in a most sour mood. I know sin abounds and the only difference is it more visible now. So I shouldn't be surprised or even dour. For greater is He who has overcome the world.
    I have been thinking this year SAD is more of an influence. Self-fulfilling prophecy? This year is also that I am more emcumbered by body pain than any year prior. I think surgery is in order.

    I read and study the holy word of God every day. Maybe the coming of winter is not the best time to be in the book of Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find solace in Job. Hey, it could always be worse.

      Mrs ERJ, on the other hand, does not have the same perspective.

      Delete
  2. I have had SAD all of my life and election years, especially this one, really make it worse. Being outside does help as does having a new project in the shop like my recently acquired 1939 Allis Chalmers WC tractor. Otherwise I just get through it although getting old seems to make it worse, probably due to less physical strength and stamina and close old friends dying off. Especially these last two years. Having your family come to visit is a blessing. As for the spammers they don't bother me any. I just ignore it. ---ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find Miss Anna amusing but then again I tolerate fleas well also . I also watch ERJ's posts and copy down all his recommendations for frost proof fruit since he is 150 miles due north of me . That Lehman's Delight should work out fine for me with them within driving distance of my hill .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I up my Vit C and D3 as the nights draw in and it seems to keep the blues at bay (and as perennial night person, I get more time to myself, yeh!).

    As to the emotional SAD (at what is happening around us) I’ve reached the point of simple resignation, only doing what I can for me and mine, the rest of the world will just have to look after itself. The sudden removal of all that frustration, the overwhelming feeling of impotence (knowing I should do something, despite also knowing nothing I did would make one jot of difference), was … refreshing.

    Raw liver is “medical establishment” contraindicated for children, but since that ‘research’ will probably both change daily, and be funded by someone who doesn’t want us eating real food, I’d say go for it since the real experts actually encourage it, especially grass-fed and wild (not before 6 months, and limited to once a week apparently, just as for adults because the high, compared to everything else we eat, levels of iron, folate and B vits). But since I, probably like you, was encouraged by my mother when young to eat dirt and worms (she claimed it was for the health benefits of a developed immune system, I think she was just trying to cut down on the food bills a bit) I may be biased.

    As to AnnA and such, I suspect you’re right. I had a run-in with my credit card issuer and bank after falling for some fraudster. I couldn’t understand why neither would take any action against them, or their bank, until it suddenly hit me, they make money for transfers whether they’re legitimate or not. They don’t care about fraud, since they are making profit from it, unless it’s against them. I suspect the spam and trolls are ‘tolerated’ for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too seem to do better when I am outside? Funny that. I lived in WNY for the first 40 years of my life - similar climate to Eaton Rapids I reckon? Moved to EastTN about 8-9 years ago.. boy howdy brother!
    Speaking of, I'm in EastTN, just outside Knoxvegas, I'll wave to Belladonna if she goes by on I-40! Is she looking at UT? My daughter is (ouch, ouch, ouch!) If your little'uns looking to relocate, we should get in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just 'beep' over the spam comments. As soon as I recognize the 'incredible job opportunity' slant, I just skip to next comment. Annoying slightly, but ignoring them is easy. I sometimes want to make a sarcastic remark, but that is giving the spammer MY valuable on line time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PERSIMMONS- While the Lehman's Delight American Persimmon is your current favorite, I wonder how that might change if you got a hold of the variety shown in this Azerbaijani you tube:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nxAc6rRPo

    Their fruit looks to be the size of an orange.
    MIlton

    ReplyDelete
  8. I detest spammers. Right there with politicians of any flavor and used car salesmen. That being said, yes, it's a minor annoyance, like a single mosquito. Your money, your blog, and your time. I'd rather you continue writing the stuff we like to read than lose some of that to you spending effort on the mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My best friend's mother makes $67/hour on the computer. She has been without a j0b for 8 months C130 but last month her check was $19928 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    Try this Site.__ www.EarnCash7.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some sites used to have a blocking capability so that other commenters could hide all comments from a certain commenter. So if someone was not worth reading, we could individually hide all their comments with a single click. It made it easy to filter out the spammers.
    Not sure of whose software that was, or how hard it was to implement from the blogger's POV. Or even if it is still available.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The liver is the body's filter. I would be concerned about pathogens or other substances (metals? pesticides? herbicides?) in the diet. The child has little defense from anything dietary at this point. Disclaimer: I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.