Friday, November 18, 2022

Clayton and Krystal: DNR


Krystal was in the room starting on Dale Mendoza when there was a crash from the waiting room and she heard an aide yelling “CODE, CODE, CODE!”

“What is that?” Dale asked as Krystal rolled him onto his side so she could run the large-bore needle through his abdomen wall on-the-diagonal.

She stopped what she was doing and said “One of our patients is ‘coding’.”

Dale shrugged “What does that mean?”

“It probably means he is going into cardiac arrest” she said.

They heard his body arching and heels drumming against the floor.

“They are using the Automatic Defibrillator” she informed him.

“Does that happen often?” Dale asked, eyebrows furrowed with concern.

“Sadly, it does. Dialysis messes with cation balances in the blood. That can push the heart into A-fib...irregular heartbeats that don’t pump blood effectively.”

They heard more shouting. Then another round of heels drumming.

“Is it as painful as it sounds?” Dale asked. “The Automatic Defibrillator, I mean.”

Krystal compressed her lips into a grimace and nodded that it was.

“Do they have to use it?” Dale pressed.

“Not if you file a Do Not Resuscitate form and wear the wrist-band” Krystal said.

“I want to fill out that form” Dale said. There was no doubt or hesitation in his voice.

Tears welled up in her eyes. “Are you sure?” she asked.

“I was never more sure in my life” he reassured her. “I am ready to go home to Jesus and see my parents and my wife and little Roberto.”

Suddenly, she was not in a cheap clinic in a shabby part of town, chosen mainly because it was near a transfer point for most of the area’s public transportation. It was just her and Dale.

“How can you know?” Krystal asked. “How can you be sure there is anything after...death?”

Dale shrugged gently. “I cannot know for sure. But there are no better offers out there. And Jesus says we only need the tiniest bit of faith. Even a pinch the size of a mustard seed is enough to uproot a tree and hurl it into the ocean.”

“We are a long way from any ocean” Krystal said, somewhat dismissively.

“For God, that is not a problem” Dale said.
 
"You have a lot of pain in your life" Dale observed. "Maybe you could use a little bit of God in it, too."
 
Krystal nodded. "Maybe."

Krystal turned Dale back on his side to finish the procedure. “Can you tell me about Roberto?” she asked.

***

Ken Aarons was coaching Clayton.

“They will ask a lot of questions. I will have pens in front of me. If I pick one up then do not talk” Aarons said.

Clayton nodded.

“I may touch your leg with my foot or my hand if you are saying too much. I am not getting ‘fresh’, I am just getting your attention. If I touch your leg SHUT UP IMMEDIATELY.”

“If I let you talk, take your time thinking about the problem before starting to talk. Most problems can be answered with a “Yes.” or a “No.” Don’t offer any more information than the question asked for. Just “Yes” or “No” “ Aarons said.

“By this time they should have pulled your phone records. They will have GPS information about where your phone went and any texts you sent or received. I am going to ask one more time, will there be any surprises?” Aarons asked.

Clayton shook his head “No”.

“OK, we are going to do some practice. Cindy will read a question and we will pretend she is the detective. We will see how good you are at following instructions…” Aarons said.

Except for having to bust Clayton’s chops for responding to Cindy’s flirting, which was completely harmless, it went better than Aarons expected.

“The detectives will try to get you emotionally engaged, to make you feel safe or smart or make you angry. Emotions make you stupid. Remember, “Yes” and “No” and to stop talking when I touch your leg or if I start playing with my pen.”

“Ok, another quick practice session….”
 

8 comments:

  1. I look forward to every installment! Thanks for sharing your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clayton is getting his money's worth with Ken. Now, can he zip his lips on command when the cop pushes his buttons... "If you WERE innocent you'd be more cooperative, son".....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I sure don't ever want to be in that situation. I'm a sucker for the emotional engagement. I have to work hard not to fall into that. Great story line. And the most disarming thing about telling your story of faith, is the personal experience. Folks learn to dismiss an authority, but how do you tell someone they didn't experience what they are telling you they did? When it plainly shows on their face that they are telling you the truth? That is disarming. And thank God it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google paying a splendid earnings from domestic 6850USD a week, this is awesome a 12 months beyond i was laid-off in a totally horrible financial system. “w many thank you google every day for blessing the ones guidelines and presently it’s miles my responsibility to pay and percentage it with all and sundry ..
    proper right here i started ……….. LiveJob247

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couple things to be very aware of, espp RE: STxAR's "emotional engagement" comment (above).

    Many people are manipulators and some are extremely skilled manpulators. Detectives are in that group. A common technique is, once they've "loosened you up" by being friendly, to describe the event in question and deliberately get some parts slighty wrong. Now that "everyone's friends and we're just talking here" you open your mouth to correct them.

    Clayton's lawyer's advice to speak as little as possible, sometimes do not speak at all, and never stray from "yes" and "no" is very sound advice worth every penny of what he's paying him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give up my job and now. I make $120 an hour operating from home doing those easy chores on line. I make $30,000 a month operating on line three hours a day. I recommended you to strive. (dc-140) You may not lose anything, simply attempt it on the subsequent internet site and earn each day…
    .
    For extra details:>>>>> www.EarnCash7.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as "criminal law", I only have experience with "white collar crime", but the fictitious attorney's general prep and advice is SPOT ON! "Yes", "No", "I do not recall at this time" and so forth. One of the few civil trials I lost occurred b/c "diarrea mouth plaintiff-client" volunteered information and just blew a winning cast to hell and gone. IT COST US TENS OF THOUSANDS in "actual out of pocket" pre-trial and trial work up.

    I highly recommend: https://www.youtube.com/@potbrothersatlaw
    These guys "get it"--Shut the F*ck Up"! Great story BTW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am an honorably retired MSP trooper, former PI, and CPL instructor.
    Clayton is getting his money’s worth out of his attorney. It’s excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.