Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Appliances

First the good news:  
My brother is out of surgery.  He was on the table for ten hours.  Adjacent organs and lymph nodes had lesions.  They biopsied the lesions in real-time (!) and they were benign. 

The tumor had attached to a nearby blood vessel, which was not expected.  They did whatever they did, dumped in two bottles of Stop-Leak...works with any color antifreeze and called it GTG.

He is off the table and is recovering.

The bad news:
I did not get to spend the day out in the woods.

The dishwasher stopped working.

This unit tested out bad.  It is a thermal fuse and is supposed to have zero resistance.  It pegged my meter, that is, open circuit.

The part costs $23 and should be delivered by the brown truck of happiness on Saturday.  I ran the screws back into the holes and pushed the dishwasher back into the cubby.  I did not completely reassemble as I need to tear it back apart on Saturday.

That might not fix the dishwasher.  There is probably a reason the thermal fuse went and I did not address that.  I look at it as a $23 lottery ticket that might allow me to put off spending $400 for a few more years.

My day was still better than my brother's but it was not what I planned.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thermal fuse is the manufacturer's way to sell most people a new dishwasher. They last for a planned amount of time . They gradually get weaker and weaker and then they blow. Some people take a short piece of #12 copper and two female spade connectors and make a jumper.(Not that I am recommending this). The new one will last its planned lifetime and then go out again. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts and prayers for him and a quick recovery! Good luck with the fuse... sigh

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.