Saturday, April 6, 2024

I'm as good once...

Clearing a place to put the apple nursery

Dragging brush and stacking it beside the driveway

Garlic in the foreground, turnip cover-crop over Mrs ERJ's 2024 kitchen garden, a row of multiplier onions as a divider and in the background the plot for the apple root-stock

The multiplier onions
The patch for the apple root-stock is approximately 20 feet by 30 feet. Apple nursery on the left side of the photo.

Please forgive me for the bad pun, but I am really dragging today. I might indulge in a couple of ibuprofen.

I am probably a poor outdoorsman but I lump ribbon snakes and garter snakes together.

Some people claim that garter snakes taste best on artisan bread rolls with brown mustard while ribbon snakes taste best on plain hot-dog buns with sweet relish and yellow mustard.

A young mourning dove that is still learning the ropes of flying.

A row of daffodils that I planted with Belladonna in the fall of 2015. Going stronger than ever.

Tomato seedlings. They came up in four days. Ukrainian Orange Icicle on the left and Stupice on the right. They look much more like baby plants today.
The Guajillo pepper seeds finally germinated (today). I planted them March 22. It pays to be patient.


7 comments:

  1. As a teen I would drive the dirt roads in spring, wherever there was a row of daffodils I would find an old house foundation and celler to metal detect.
    Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started 2 different packets of toms, still no plants! Guess I'll buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have spring? We got 15 inches of white global warming on Wednesday and Thursday. Good thing the fruit tree buds are still dormant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I lived in Massachusetts I had a surfeit of crickets, and shortly thereafter had a surfeit of garter snakes. Garden damage was minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We prefer sauerkraut with or ribbon and garter snakes. Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted pomegranate seeds not too long after Christmas, took them until late March to sprout. It does pay to be patient.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.