Thursday, April 11, 2024

Busy in the gardens and orchards

It has been a couple of busy days outside.

I was asked to "manage" a property that has been neglected for a few years. 

Tuesday I was cutting multiflora rose out of their orchard. I was using long-handled loppers.

It is a bit like reducing interlocking fields-of-defensive-fire without the benefit of artillery. I had to cut a path in, kneel down and then take out the base with precision, long-range fire lopping. I took received many puncture wounds. The thorns on multiflora rose hooked so they grab you and attempts to pull away drive the points in or drag them along your skin and cut it like a tiny, moldboard plow.

While I was at that property I grafted a few Illinois Everbearing Mulberries on some volunteer seedlings. Then I fertilized the trees. About 30% of the apple trees are dead and need to be removed and replaced.

Apple rootstock

Mrs ERJ and I got the apple rootstocks planted yesterday.

As noted in an earlier post, they were "Grade B" plants. I got a lot more cheerful when, by actual count, the nursery had graciously included an extra 10% rootstock. 

The other pleasant surprise is that I noticed on the tag that they had shipped Geneva 214. I thought I had ordered Geneva 210. I pulled the invoice and I had ordered G.214. Geneva 210 might be a little better in resistance to soil diseases that build-up and so it might be a little bit better choice when replanting an orchard. 

G.214, on the other hand, is very good at delivering calcium to the scion variety. Calcium is critical for fruit quality and keeping ability. Honeycrisp apples are notoriously sensitive to calcium deficiencies and G.214 is probably the superstar rootstock for Honeycrisp apples. G.214 has good resistance to soil diseases and is still a solid performer in replant situations, but maybe not as good as G.210.

It is raining now and the rootstock are settling into their new homes.

Sugar Snap Peas and tomatoes

We also got half of Mrs ERJ's Sugar Snap Peas planted yesterday.

I "pricked out" the tomato seedlings and moved them to trays with 4-square-inch cells. 

The planting season is accelerating.

7 comments:

  1. Amen! My favorite time of year! I swear sometimes I just start seeds I never intend to plant.
    Curious to learn more about your calcium escapades with Malus. I have 2 Honeycrisp and added a candy crisp this spring. Need to revisit those articles on spraying you posted last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gauntlet type gloves are our go-to when cutting our brush. South Texas is full of thorny ornery foilage. Name brand gauntlets will cost so we have used bar-b-queing gauntlets with only a few issues.

    Pro-Tip: Hay fork works great for moving pruned branches without getting poked. Just use like a salad fork - push through. Piling branches so they are in-line helps a lot too.

    Hope this helps..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honeycrisp and calcium deficiency. Hummm. That explains the problem. You sure are a great source of knowledge. Thanks---ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning. First ever comment but I just had to share. This was the first ad on my Google feed this morning 🌞
    I should add, not affiliated to them in any way, just curious what you think!
    Garden Professional Grafting Cutting Tool - Libeta
    https://libeta.co/products/garden-professional-grafting-cutting-tool

    ReplyDelete
  5. My go to move when removing thorny bushes is to grab a tow strap that has loops on each end. Lay one end down and walk around the bush. Put one loop through the other and tighten the slipknot around the bush. Put the end loop over the trailer hitch and drive away.

    If it doesn't pull out easily or the strap starts to slide up the bush, stop and grab the pole saw. With the bush leaning over you can make short work of the trunk and you have all the branches bundled for easier handling.

    sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'multiflora roses'. In Texas we have McCartney roses, a wild rose that is invasive - highly invasive. Roundup mixed to full strength with a heavy dose of spreader/sticker additive (makes it really coat the leaves) is your friend. Cutting them back doesn't work, unless you like chores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, progress IS being made...

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.