Saturday, August 18, 2018

A few pictures


The tree rats are taunting me.  This is a pole set.  Red Squirrels in particular like to run up diagonal poles.  They much prefer to be in trees than running along the ground where predators can ambush them.  In theory, the squirrel bumps the wire and triggers the trap.

On top of a railroad tie that had been used as a fence post.  Clearly, the critters are eating the seeds.  What do you guys think?  Could it be a raccoon rather than a squirrel?
The grape vines are filling in.
Confirmation that my southern row is mostly Swenson Red.  You work with what you have.
Hardneck garlic clones produce something that looks like seedballs but most/all of them are actually little bulblets that are identical to mama.  Commercial growers do not allow the tops to develop because it reduces the size of the cloves.  Home growers intent on increasing the stock of garlic plants allow them to develop because you might be able to nurse 40 plants from one "seedball"
Bulblets pushed into potting soil.  I cover them with newspaper to keep the soil moist and to allow a little bit of sun to find the bulblets.
Turnips and kale are coming up.
I found my cell phone in the barn.  It had fallen out while I was replacing a fence charger that stopped working.

Lucky for me, I was walking by the barn as the alarm was going off.
These tomatoes have been self-seeding (sometimes called volunteering) in my orchard for three or four years now.  The original plant was given to me by Roger Miller and he claimed it was an heirloom variety called "Delicious".  I liked the way the muted sunlight from the window played across the skin.
Brunettes, redheads and blondes:  Who said you could not have it all?  The Captain's cattle and the reason we had to get the fence charger working.

The Goldenrod is starting to bloom.
And so is the Wild Cucumber
I saw two tree frogs today, which is a record for me.  This guy was right at eye level.  You can see how he clocked around the stem to keep it between himself and me.

From a slightly better viewing angle. Notice how the gray pattern matches the twig and breaks up the distinctive frog silhouette.  I saw the other tree frog when I was moving the second IBC and setting it up to collect rainwater. 
Black Locust is not considered an easy tree to root but this fence post seems intent on refuting that "fact".  Mrs ERJ said she saw many fence posts in Central America that took root and grew.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.