Saturday, April 27, 2024

Wild weather this morning but this afternoon turned out well

The "corn patch" was tilled today. It is approximately 60' by 35'. It was in sod which I sprayed with glyphosate about two weeks ago.

It was a brutal job as the tines caught on tussocks of orchard grass. But, we got it done.

I subscribe to the belief that God and the agents of decay are the true tillers of the soil. My job is to discourage weeds. In this case, the weeds are grass (mostly perennial ryegrass, if that matters).

The rough tilling probably undercuts about 70% of the sod. It is my belief that roots that are cut rot more quickly than grass roots that are not cut. In a few days, weather permitting, I will make another pass in the opposite direction (which would be clockwise) and try to undercut the remaining 30%. Then I will leave it alone for two weeks, till again and then plant corn in mid-May.


Not a lot of windows of dry weather in the coming week

The "weather permitting" part is that I need three dry days after a significant rain before the ground is dry enough for me to run the tiller. If I didn't "get on it" today I would have to wait until mid-week before I had another bite at the apple.

The corn-patch will also get okra, a first time crop for us and I will inter-plant more heavily with pole beans and "pumpkins". I intend to practice what I preach. The sweet corn will be on the west end of the patch and the various strains of field corn will be downwind of that.

I want to plant a row of sweet sorghum. I have seeds for both Mennonite and Della.

I have no plans to grow sunflowers this year but will grow zinnias again. The California Giants were butterfly magnets. I want to try some Benary Giant Purples.

Do any of you favor any "tall" plants, either food, medicinal or ornamental that might fit with corn?

The tee-pee with vines growing over it was a dud. I will not try that again.

Dinner

Dinner was Chicken ala King over brown rice.

Five chicken thighs. Sauteed sweet onion. Being a heretic, I added green beans, peas and carrots. Mushrooms. Some hot-sauce and some chicken bouillon. Simple food.

Slowly, every so slowly, we seem to be shaking the cold that has been going around.

Sneaking in an off-topic question

Hamas invaded Israel on October 7, 2023.

One of their targets was a very, very soft target: The Supernova Music Festival.

It begs the question, how many or what percentage of the participants in the Music Festival could have turned the tide of events if they had quick access to 9mm carbines similar to the ones that Copperhead Cove will soon be equipped with?

If 5% of the participants had one locked in the trunk of their personal vehicle, would that have made a material difference? 10%?

What if they were carrying them?

Those events played on my mind as I wrote the last few installments of the Cumberland Saga. But for the fickle finger of fate (and another decade of feckless immigration policy) that could be any one of us.

11 comments:

  1. A month or three of black ‘silage’ plastic over the future corn patch would knock down the vegetation without the sprays. It can also be used to keep the spot drier and ready for tilling on demand. Quite an asset in my area of perpetual spring rains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: tall plants. I always plant some mullein either from seed or usually transplanted. It is a great expectorant and decongestant and doesn't need any help to thrive. Selectively picked leaves when they are full then dehydrated are the easiest medicine to make that I know of and very effective. ---ken .

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the firearm question I refer you to the Kibbitzes that had their own limited self-defense ability. Most were disarmed and tried to hide and wait for IDF rescue, they died or were captured mostly.

    Those that had even a few armed members kept the terrorists off them. Still casualties but no known captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, exactly. If they had the means of defense, it mattered. But only if they had the mentality and will to USE it.

      Having it in the trunk or such would likely not have made a difference.

      BTW: Re your printed firearms... This is likely cheaper: https://palmettostatearmory.com/hi-point-carbine-45-acp-9-round-semi-auto-rifle-skeletonized-4595ts.html

      Delete
    2. As to the Hipoint comment I'd like to point(not a pun)out a whole lot of nits. They are heavy to drag around. The(again not a pun)target group to use these heavy objects is young girls and woman..Will they take them with them at all times if they are heavy? Compared to 9mm,45 ammo is expensive and also HEAVY. I don't know for a fact, but I'm betting if you call up PSA and tell them you want to buy upwards of 20 of those carbines,it will attract the attention of people whose attention you don't want. And on that note, you have figured out how to arrange for the new owners of the "printed firearms" to have completed the individual's 20% (for the big guy) to stay legal. Otherwise the result could be similar to some other unnamed religious compound that had guns vs the gov

      Delete
    3. How light do you want? You can save about a half pound by going to 9mm.
      Much lighter than that and you start to have controllability issues, especially in small statured people.

      Do you really think that women will take 'em along wherever they go? IF so, you must know some women who are really different than the ones I know. They'll carry 'em for a few days, maybe a week or two, then it will become too much trouble, no matter how small and light. It won't be a priority for them.


      Delete
    4. Please go back and read the last installment of the story and all will be revealed. On the other hand I agree with you about wanting to carry around the weight but I expect there will be reasons to come.

      Delete
  4. I've been kicking this same idea (what if the concert attendees had been armed) around in my head for a while. I ran across this video at American Thinker yesterday. I just watched the first 10-15 minutes, but it is food for that type of thought.

    https://www.screamsbeforesilence.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chicken meal sounds awesome. I made rice - burrito yesterday (1st time !), browning rice in butter before 1/2 water - 1/2 beef broth to finish off. Sacrificed a freezer beef burrito (Aztec Gods were pleased - they don't get a lot of love these days) by microwaving, then cutting open burrito and using contents to cook with rice and provide flavor. For my lunch today, will re-heat this in a cup, inserting some cheese pieces in center and allowing to melt.

    I know - sounds ghastly but Science demands answers.

    I've also wondered why the concert promotors did not have more security here. I can see reluctance in allowing concert goers to go in armed into a venue like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love growing Okra. Clemson Spineless. Pick it small (2.5 to 3") which equals tender. Medium lenth is fiberous but edible. Foot long equals next year's seeds. Cut into 5/8 pieces, batter it and fry it up. Half the batch gets served for dinner. The other half goes in a freezer bag. Also, you can brine the whole pod and run it through a dryer. The result goes in regular sized mason jar. It goes like candy when you open a jar. Go to a Cracker Barrel restaurant and order it to see how the pros do it. I am still not there but that is the goal. Roger

    ReplyDelete
  7. A local garden radio guy recommends pruning the stalk at 3 feet so that it branches and is easier to harvest. I have not tried that yet. You will need a step ladder at some point. Nine plants will work you. I would double that if I were not able to go to a grocery store. Roger

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.