Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Moss

From east-to-west, looking south. You can click on the image to embiggen. The pale gray pegs are to keep the pavers from sliding downhill on the double-layer of plastic.

Moss is a good way to hide height miss-matches. The edge of the eves lines up with the middle of the center pavers.

The seam that is filled with moss is in line with the spigot for the hose.

I went into the woods and peeled moss off the ground. I scraped out some of the ground limestone because nearly all of the "experts" on the internet say moss prefers soil with low pH. I replaced the limestone with a layer of peat moss.

Then I stuffed the moss into the crack. Afterward, I watered with the hose.

I can tell which moss has been in the longest. It is the most vivid, saturated green. The moss with less tenure is paler and more yellow.

This side of the house gets about two hours of sun a day and then the spot is shaded by the house and an arborvitae on the west end.

1 comment:

  1. I see play sand. Perhaps that is what you used to fill in cracks. I have found that course sand that looks like ground up waste from cinder block manufacture makes a great base. I had four sides to the hole and after dumping the course sand in the whole wet it down liberally to make something of a slurry so it mostly found its own level with a little encouragement. Couple days later to take a hoe and knock down what still insists on standing up. There is your base.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.