Monday, September 28, 2020

Home-field advantage: When range is your friend

***Note from the management: This is fiction. Comments are encouraged, especially ones speculating about future events. The value of a story is not that it is a perfect road-map for the future but that it teaches us to drive with our high-beams on.***

 

A plan was starting to come together in my head.

I once shot two bucks from the same stand on the same morning. I was able to pull it off because I saw where the first buck died. I did not leave the stand and muck-up the run with my scent. Later that morning I was able to shoot a second buck, and then a doe. We ate well that winter.

The men on Harry’s roof clearly thought the shooter had been on the berm. Not only could I take a second shot from my current hide, but I could probably shoot with impunity.

Doc Lisenby* had drilled basic strategy into us. “If your enemy has a handgun and you have a shotgun, open the distance to thirty or forty yards and kill him. Don't f___ around. Kill him."

"If he has a shotgun and you have a rifle, open to 120 yards and kill him. If he has a short rifle and you have a long one, open the distance to three hundred yards.”

Then I asked “What if I have the handgun and the other guy has a shotgun”

Lisenby spit on the ground for emphasis and said “You either better have your will written or learn how to be invisible because you probably aren’t going to survive.”

It was Doc's belief that very few people had the skill to be effective with a handgun beyond ten yards. There may be a few, but they are rare. Add the fact that pistol shooting is hard in the best of times, then factor in adrenaline and the need to duck bullets coming your way and he probably had a point.

I was shooting a long gun that fired a bullet that was pretty good at bucking the wind.

The men on the roof were shooting 5.56 NATO or Commie 7.62mm and didn’t know where I was. Or if they did, they would only be guessing at the exact Kentucky windage. On the other hand, I was dialed in.

One thing you learn playing poker is to not give information away for free. I decided to play the stealth game just a little bit longer.

The men on the roof were staying well away from the parapet that faced Verlinden and the berm around the demolished factory. They weren’t quite so careful about staying away from parapet on the south side of the roof.

I guessed it was because of the A/C units on the roof breaking the north wind. Based on their silhouettes in the scope, they were wearing tight, stylish clothing that offered very little in the way of warmth.

The were pacing around trying to generate body-heat.

I let them settle into a pattern, then I took up my shooting position again. I set the crosshairs near the south edge of the roof and waited for Mr Blue-face to wander through them.

A little bit of pressure on the barrel ahead of the scope to depress the horizontal cross-hair so there was just the tiniest amount of light between the top of the target’s head and the bottom of the cross-hair.

Then I waited until the vertical cross-hair lined up with the outside of his shoulder.

It happened slowly enough that I was able to synch up my heartbeat and breathing.

Send-it.

Half a second latter, Mr Blue-face and the tablet rolled off the south side of the two story roof. I bet that hurt.

Then the radio-handlers opened up fire on the buildings to the south of them.

The time for stealth was over.

I started methodically racking the bolt and firing.

They figured out where I was after I toppled the second one of them. I only heard a couple of bullets ping the side of the box car I was in.
 

Reload the magazine. Shoot it dry.

Reload the magazine. Shoot it dry.

They tried to use the parapet for cover. Good luck with that.

Load. Shoot. Load. Shoot.

And then I was dry on ammo.

Time to skedaddle.

I slipped out of the box-car and locked the door like a good citizen and then slipped over the tracks and made my way west.

I took a very long, very indirect route to Marie’s house. It was the better part of three miles.

I saw no one.

There were a boatload of cars in front of her house.

I let myself in through her side door. Mom’s little dog greeted me.

Ann was sleeping on the sofa I had planned to sleeping on. Her husband Mark was sleeping on the living room carpet.

I was glad they decided to bug out. Really, I was.

I unrolled my cheap pad by one of the furnace vents and put the fanny pack under my head for a pillow. I had slept under worse circumstances.

The furnace wasn’t working, of course. No power.

I sent Lizzy a text “All OK here”

It was fifteen minutes after midnight.

I pulled the stocking cap over my eyes and was asleep within seconds. 

*Doc Lisenby was a real person. He shot long range competitively. He did not use coarse language (that part was fiction).  Doc Lisenby lived in South Carolina. He died in 2008.

Next

14 comments:

  1. Doc sounds like several folks I've known in this journey through life. Bless 'em all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting serial. I'll be following. Thanks Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very satisfying episode. About time those Commie bastards running the riots had some serious retribution visited upon them, if only in fiction.



    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think of the damage if the narrator was part of a team, either with a spotter or another sniper providing cross-fire.

    Excellent tale.

    And, yes, in all the videos of the violence, the ones I'd be targeting would be the ones holding their phones as cameras. The street thug would be useless without someone telling them where to go and providing intel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have no doubt that our friend lngdstnshtr would approve and be proud to be memorialized in your story. Still miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With the looming arrival of winter, I anticipate these folks will stay home where is is warm and dry. Good news: less drama. Bad news: time for them to refit, re equip, and train up on "lessons learned".

    I can only pray that the next year brings with it a rethinking of OpFor's intent and goals.

    But, I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were out and about on January 20 to 22nd, 2017. When it was miserably cold. Setting fires, destroying businesses, leaving a foot or so of garbage everywhere they went.

      The cold won't stop them. Until the leaders and the financiers reach room temperature.

      Delete
  7. Boy, that was a real feel-good episode. I wonder what's going on over at the buses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an awesome question because the buses are one of their Achilles heels.

      An army marches on its stomach...and its boots. Take away their boots and the ability to feed the stomach and you won't have many soldiers.

      I think the buses come back into play in next Tuesday's installment. They are vulnerable to more than just one pressure point.

      Delete
  8. The Doc sounds like someone I would liked to have met.

    Great story. But shooting oneself dry is generally not a good thing in a combat zone. As you said, he's an amateur. I hope he learns enough to try for professional before he makes a mistake he can't get out of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next time out Our Hero better bring a team for security and have a lot of ways to bug-out. OPFOR is going to be pissed at losing so many cadre and will be out for blood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rule of fishing: Never leave fish, to find fish. Once you find them, stay put and keep catching.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.