Wednesday, March 18, 2020

I am working today!

The masons showed up this morning at 8:00AM.

They are shrinking the fireplace opening.

The face-plate for the insert measures 44" wide by 29" tall.

The fireplace measures an honest 60" wide by 31" tall.

The most expeditious way to shorten the hole was to raise the floor. Approximately 4.5" of concrete was poured to  create a slab that was level with the top of the second brick.

Lee and Fred were more than happy to let me help hump in the buckets of concrete, although they changed my name. They called me 'Prentice.

Then, the plan is to come in a brick-and-a-half on each side to narrow the hole to about 36" in width.

Lights
I also have a job installing LED lights in a school. With no students, we can do that work during the normal work-day rather than evenings and weekends.

3 comments:

  1. I am sure your back is gonna be appreciative of being called "prentice."

    ReplyDelete
  2. His wallet might appreciate it, even if his back doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least the school job is "light" work!

    I could do OK with toting the buckets of concrete, but a pair of repaired shoulders make me say no to prolonged overhead work.


    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.