Thursday, August 17, 2017

Adjustments to the running plan

The new running plan is to skip "coffee" on running days.  I will wake up.  Drink my cup of joe.  Do my "necessary" business.  Hydrate with electrolyte and walk out the door.  My thinking is that the microfauna should have depleted the most readily digestible components.  There should not be much for them to work on if I void before taking off on my run.

My plan is to walk to the end of my driveway and then to run five minutes to the left...then return to the end of my driveway.

Run five minutes to the right...then return to the end of my driveway.

Run a wee bit to the right, then make a turn and run about five minutes...then return to the end of my driveway.

There are upsides and downsides.  The major upside is that the furthest I will be from home is ten minutes even if I have to clamp down and stiff-leggit home.  Another upside is that I almost double the "vertical" over running around the block.  I figure I will be climbing (and dropping) 180 feet in the three miles of running compared to the 100 feet I estimated for running around the block.

180 feet of elevation change in three miles in not much if you live in hilly regions, but Michigan is solidly mid-West.  The grades are pushing 10% in places and it is a grind to run them.

The downside is that the run might get boring.  And even this has compensations.  I will be looking at scenery from both sides, now.  And it is amazing how much you miss when you only look at things from one viewpoint.

1 comment:

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.