Sunday, July 1, 2018

Route planning for Day 3

Day three takes me east through some very serious "dairy" country.
Day one was 13 miles.

Day two was 15 miles.

The plan for day three is 17 miles.

Peak heat index is expected to hit 98 degrees tomorrow and I learned from walking in 95 degree heat index that my water consumption is 50%-to-100% higher than when walking at 80.

Forgive the pun, but I was sweating the details of how to carry enough water.  I had been using a mid-route water drop to replenish.

The answer was stupid-simple.  Two water drops.

The first one at about the seven mile mark. The seven mile mark is blessed with abundant cover so my water drop will not be molested. The temps will be moderate during the early morning so seven miles should not be very taxing.
Five miles later, at the 12 mile mark there is a hospitality establishment.  I am sure I can purchase refreshment there.  Nope, not adult beverage, I still have five more miles to go.
A mile short of my destination is marked by a small stream that flows close to my route.  I can  stash a couple cans of celebratory beverage in that crick to keep them cool.

My family has been very supportive.  My youngest brother loaned me his seventy ounce Camelbak pack.  That seventy ounces plus another twenty oz in my fanny pack should give me ten miles of range* and I will still have room for lunch in my pack.

* I carry way more water than I need to.  I am a sissy that way.  The math says I can walk 12 miles at 80 degrees with one, 20 oz bottle in my fanny pack.  I consume it at the three mile mark and drink my fill and replenish the bottle at the mid-point cache.  I then drink the bottle at the nine mile mark.  Carrying three bottles means I don't have to scrub the mission if I miss a water drop as I have enough to rehydrate at 3, 6 and 9 miles.

I have not been able to give a very clear answer as to why I am doing this walk.  Perhaps it is "Because I can." and because I might not be able to do it physically in fifteen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.