Saturday, July 28, 2018

Ill fortunate and salvage efforts


This is what I saw on Friday morning.  I suspect a bird, probably a Redwing Blackbird, landed on this grafted persimmon and broke it.  Redwing Blackbirds often nest in cattails and are very adept at arresting their forward flight on vertical stems.

I have had dismal luck straightening these up and having them live.  I decided to stabilize the break with multiple wraps of tape.

Then I put on a hat to keep the exposed wood from drying out.

Then I added a wimple to reduce the sun-load on the leaves.
I will consider this a rousing success if the tree lives until autumn when I can harvest all of the new growth for scion wood.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.