Sunday, January 2, 2022

Pear trees

 


Many readers have noticed that I am fond of pear trees. Easy of culture. Fruit not bothered much by curculios and codling moths. There is much to like about a pear tree.

But you rarely hear about the last harvest of the year. Should you be blessed with a pear tree in your yard, you too can harvest this one last crop. But you have to hustle. It will not be there after Epiphany.


On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Twelve drummers drummin'
Eleven pipers pipin'
Ten lords a leapin'
Nine ladies dancin'
Eight maids milkin'
Seven swans a swimmin'
Six geese a layin'
Five golden rings!
Four calling birds
Three french hens
Two turtle doves
And a cartridge in a pear tree!


I found ten so far


Hat-tip to Coyote Ken

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to look up pear trees to find one that bears second fruit in my preferred caliber;)
    irontomflint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Asian pears had Arisaka headstamped ammo.

      The Duchesse D'Angouleme had -06 and the Barlett had .303 Brit

      Don't know if that helped.

      Delete
  2. I got some Egyption .303 stuff from my old buddy Davy Schrader many moons back in the 70's . Can't believe it doesn't blow up any of these Enfields hanging around the homestead up. Splits every case And then plows a nice furrow after going through Mr Long Horns . Poor Davy had a terrible office fire shortly before he retired and lost all his personal firearms records . It was tragic ! Gawd bless my old friend Davy !

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.