Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Drywall

I am starting to replace drywall in the house.

Kubota is a big guy and he has kinetic hobbies. Combined, he was hard on drywall and there was little point in replacing it when it was likely to collect damage in short order.

I am starting in the kid's bathroom because I had to knock a hole through the ceiling to install the pulldown steps to get into the attic. Before I installed the steps (last May) I had to shinny up through a 21", square hole in one of the closets. That meant every time I needed to access the attic I had to take all of the clothing out of the closet and remove the two shelves.

I am getting too old and fat to worm my way up through that hole any more.

The challenge in the bathroom is that it is small. It is 10'-by-10' but it has a partial partition that separates the stool and the shower surround. I really have to think through the cuts and even moving the 4'-by-8' sheets is tricky.

Mrs ERJ declined to hold the sheets up against the ceiling while I shot the screws. I was even willing to let her stand on my collection of old phonebooks so she would be tall enough. I bought a drywall lift.

The Youtube videos show the pros using router bits to cut the holes and openings. I am not in that big of a hurry. I am measuring and drilling 1/2" holes in the corners of the holes and using a "box cutter" to cut through the paper on both sides.

If it takes me three days to get all 100 square-feet covered with drywall and the first pass with mud, then that will be just fine. We have three people living here and three bathrooms. That provides a certain ease in getting jobs done.

I expect to pick up speed as I gain confidence and skill.

10 comments:

  1. Man, drywall lift is a lot.
    Mexicans here use 2x4s cut to length. Takes 2 bodies though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my house reeplumbed a couple years ago. Had to remove a lot of drywall to do it. I hired someone to do it for me for $2500. It was worth every penny. I cannot put mud on drywall to save my neck.

      Delete
    2. Even with my 40+ years experience as a carpenter, I'm not good at drywall mudding either. Between drywall work and painting, it's a close race which I hate more, but I'd rather take a beating than do either one.

      Delete
  2. Cut drywall with a boxcutter? Never again. I'm about your age and life is too short. I use an oscillating tool when I have to cut drywall, which doesn't happen often, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember redoing the drywall ceiling in the den. I had built a drywall lift, but a friend had stopped by to check on progress, so we just lifted the last piece up to check fit. Fits perfect, and we realize neither of us has anything with which to actually, you know, secure it, but it's too fussy to get in place to take it back down. After my wife saw the situation and was able to control her laughter, she handed up appropriate supplies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Don't really need to use green board...or MR board as some call it,on the ceiling.

      Although, come to think about it, a friend did tile the sloped ceilings in his large shower enclosure.

      Delete
    2. I am using 5/8", standard dry-wall. The lath is on 12" centers and I am using screws and construction adhesive.

      Mrs ERJ gave me permission to use Abitibi board or plastic sheet above the shower surround.

      One factor that is in my favor is that we only have one kid at home (Belladonna) and she is scheduled to leave in May. Furthermore, she only showers on days when she does not work-out at the gym. So that bathroom currently sees four showers a week.

      I may regret the decision to not use green board but, no, I did not use it.

      Delete
  5. To state the obvious, commercial drywall lifts really help; rental places usually have them. Harbor Freight sells a decent one, too, if you have a bigger project. The lift makes a difficult two person job into an easy 1+ person job. I bought one for a larger ceiling project and was glad I did. Not only does it lift GWB, but can be modded easily to also raise plywood and shingles for roof jobs. Carrying bundles of shingles up the ladder is for young men.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.