Sunday, January 23, 2022

Our refrigerator is on-the-blink

We are having issues with our refrigerator.

A quick review of the internet shows the condenser fan being a likely culprit. Other candidates include the thermostat and a couple of different relays. If it isn't one of those parts then I probably had a leak-down of the sealed unit and the refrigerator is not economically fixable.

Fortunately, we have several small "dorm" refrigerators we can move food to. We also have the great outdoors where it is 18 degrees F. Time to dig out the camping coolers and clean out the fridge after Mass today.

In the mean-time I can put a couple of jugs of frozen water into the refrigerator side to keep things cool. I already pitched the milk.

This fridge does not owe us anything. According to the serial number it was probably manufactured in 2001.

I really do not want to go shopping for a new fridge and having to shell out between $1100 and $1500 dollars but will do what we have to do.

11 comments:

  1. We invested in all brand new appliances when I retired in 2012 . Unfortunately the American made appliances have proven to be poorly engineered junk that has fell apart and given us trouble from day one . The heavy duty extra large washer and dryer in the basement were Korean made and work dependably and well . Looking for an LG fridge and gas stove right now . Sadly this old boomer remembers when Made in America meant it would last 25 or 59 years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a local source for used appliances? I'm amazed at the number of people who replace 5 to 10 year old appliances, either because they are "old" or because they are redoing their kitchen.
    Where I used to live, there was a great used appliance store. Out here I see them regularly in classifieds/ marketplaces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The local "family appliance dealer" around here has a scratch-n-dent store (sometimes you can ask the manager if they have one in back). I recently pickes up a $900 retail upright freezer for $600. The scratch was less than an inch long and on the side. Since I was paying cash he knocked off the tax, to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ever vacuum/brush off the condenser coil fins? Plugged condenser coil will show same symptom of bad order condenser fan motor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extendable crevice brush is your friend here - got mine at Mcmaster. Occasionally I shame myself into vacuuming the cat hair out of there. Pull the fridge out, take the back cover off, and get the fan too. I know it's past time when the fridge starts meditating. Ohmmmmm...

      Delete
  5. Hopefully it's not the compressor. If so, it's not cost effective to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. We have been through this cycle a number of times. Best of luck.

    We have not had great luck with LG. Better with Samsung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends had a Bosch that wouldn't make ice, and they were unable to repair. That could have been their appliance tech, though. When we got our GE in 92, my mother, upon hearing the brand, said "I'm so sorry." Water/ice in the door leaves a bit to be desired, but it is still humming along. Ohmmmmm.

      Delete
  7. Same happened to me a decade ago. I really like our new fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.