Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Some days are just low-energy days

Today was a low-energy kind of day.

The screen of my phone went black. It is a Samsung Galaxy 5, one of the last phones you can change the battery on. Maybe it is a Juneteenth thing. To be continued.

Something ate a third of the cabbage plants I put out. I sat out in the garden this evening so I could issue a stern lecture to the miscreant.

Sitting in a chair and only moving my eyes matched my energy level perfectly.

I can vouch that I have a great plentitude of song sparrows and wrens in my orchard. At least one set of song sparrows appear to be nesting in the asparagus. Robins forage longer into the evening than most other birds. Bumblebees were working the Motherswort behind me. Orioles are fond of Illinois Everbearing Mulberries. 

There are some swallows in the neighborhood that enjoy slumming on my property near sunset. The swallows fly about 24 inches above the tops of the grass in the pasture. I suppose they are trying to flush insects. I don't know why they don't buzz the calves. They always have flies on them.

It was interesting to see the moths wake up. It is easy to underestimate the number and size of the moths because I never see them during the day.

It was less interesting to see and hear the mosquitoes.

According to the bucket I left in the middle of the yard, we picked up about 1.5" of rain over the weekend. More is on the way with Friday-Saturday predicted to yield significant amounts. That means I need to till late Wednesday or on Thursday because the weeds are  taking off.

Various grafts that were sitting in a state of suspended animation "pushed". Lehman's Delight persimmon and Barbra's Blush that were grafted last year set persimmons so I will get to taste them.

A larger number of my seedling filberts set nuts. I will get to assess them for kernel percentage and productivity.

Just another day in paradise.

3 comments:

  1. I'm still using an old Galaxy S-5 mini, which I got because it has two SIM card slots, allowing the user to select service. Used it overseas (had a separate SIM card for that nation's phone service). Drives my wife and daughter nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please send some of that rain up to southern New Hampshire? I've had less than a half-inch in each of the last two weeks. Very bad for pasture, and my electric bill has skyrocketed from using the well to water the food garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy, came across your blog a few years ago by way of Ol' Remus. Also a clinger to my old Galaxy S5 mainly for the removable battery. You should check out the Galaxy Xcover Pro for a newish phone with removable battery. I just got my hands on one and am making the switch. So far I really like it.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.