Sunday, January 17, 2016

Walking

It was a cool day for a walk.  The temperature is 12 F and the wind is blowing 14 mph out of the west.

On paper, that yields a wind chill of about -3 F.  But I don't walk on paper.  I walk down real roads with dips and exposed stretches and various amounts of brush or woods on either side.  Also, sometimes I am walking with the wind (much warmer with face and zippers on leeward side).  Sometimes I walk against the wind and other times quartering to it.

I cheated today.  I had Mrs ERJ drop me off on the way home from church.  I walked with the wind most of the way home.

The only difficulty occurred on stretches of road that were icy.  Often, I can find a path with a little bit of exposed grit.  I can scoot along at a steady 3 mph on those paths.  But I have to slow way down when I am on ice.  I am sure I look like a penguin as I toddle along.

But it is all good.  I am home now.

1 comment:

  1. At least you're careful... That is a good thing! And yes, downwind is ALWAYS easier! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.