Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Price of Truffles doubles to $3200 a pound





Mrs ERJ inspected the new windbreak west of the orchard today.

She commented on the lavish application of white powder.  It reminded her of the first time I tried to line an athletic field.  "What is it?" she asked.

"Limestone." I replied.

"I didn't know hazelnuts needed high pH soil." she commented.

"They don't."  I said.

"So why did you throw so much lime around them?" she asked.

"Truffles." I said.

"But you don't like mushrooms all that much." she observed.

"Nope.  But I like money."  I said.

Truffles






Truffles like hazelnut roots.


Truffles like high pH soil.

Truffles like lots of calcium.

Research suggests that Burgundian Truffles (Tuber aestivum) has a wide range of adaptability AND can fix nitrogen.

Truffles, once established, produce for centuries.

Truffles are actually complex microbiological communities.  The hazelnut (or oak or hornbeam) roots are the landlord and provide "utilities".  The Tuber aestivum is the primary renter and sublets niches to a wide range of other fungi and many species of bacteria.


The last of the hazelnuts that I am moving out of my nursery will be planted beside this old foundation.  Seventy years of leaching guarantees an abundance of calcium in the soil.

Now, if I could just get my hands on  a few, tiny slivers of peelings from a Burgundian Truffle to "seed" the site or a few thimbles full of dirt...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.