Monday, February 14, 2022

Valentine's Day at the Nursing Home

We visit Mom on Mondays and Fridays.

Mom has a roommate named "J". For privacy reasons I will stick with her initial.

Neither Mom nor "J" can leave their beds under their own power. Consequently, their room is close to the nurses station.

"J" has been a peach. Mom can be repetitive and she will not tell you when her hearing aids are not in. Mom's roommate took that in stride.

When Mom first showed up "J" told us which channels to find the shows Mom was most interested in.

"J" has a son "up North" and a daughter "down South". They call nearly every day but rarely visit.

I had been sneaking in Lemon Custard filled sweet rolls until I discovered "J" is diabetic and a BSL of 200 is "good" for her. No more Lemon Custard sweet rolls for her.

I consulted with Mrs ERJ. She gave me the go-ahead.

We took two Valentine's Day cards. One for Mom and one for "J". I stuffed five scratch off lottery tickets in "J"'s card. The ladies at Quality Dairy where I had been buying the sweet rolls helped me pick them out. They thought the pink ones were most appropriate.

"J" can hand them out to the Nursing Assistants who treat her well or she can scratch them off herself.

Frankly, I hope she scratches them off herself.

Everybody should have a chance to "get lucky" on Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.