Thursday, February 17, 2022

Hung a little drywall today

I hung three sheets of drywall today.

Mrs ERJ lit a fire under me. She said it would be convenient if the guest bedroom was done in a couple of weeks so she could paint and decorate the room. Apparently we are expecting guests.

The bottleneck is the ice in the yard. The best route into the room is around the house and through the window. The fifteen inches (plus or minus) of snow on the ground is mostly gone but there are still patches that are polished ice. Not something I want the ever-lovely-and-no-longer-in-her-twenties Mrs ERJ to slip on while carrying drywall.

Belladonna helped me carry in three sheets this morning before she went into work. I had them up by one. I really didn't want to clutter up the room with excessive numbers of sheets.

Bella is feeling under the weather so we didn't move the next two into the room when she came home from work this evening.

I hope she feels better in the morning.

For the record, I am cutting the holes with a keyhole saw. There are not that many outlets and cold air return vents that it is an impossible number.

8 comments:

  1. Hanging walls or ceiling? If ceiling, did you make a helper stick with a couple of 2x4's? Basically a "T" stick to hold up one end whilst you fasten the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walls first. Then ceiling.

      Mrs ERJ "suggested" that I buy a lift after I informed her that she could help me by stabilizing the T stick with a sheet of 5/8" drywall four feet above her head.

      I LOVE that woman.

      Delete
    2. 5/8 drywall at 74 pounds a sheet...you are a glutton for punishment.

      Delete
    3. I cheat.

      I have a drywall lift.

      Belladonna, my daughter, is freaky-strong. She bench-presses 245 pounds and has a deadlift PR of 435 pounds. That is very, very strong for a girl.

      She could probably carry in two sheets at a time by herself but I help just so she won't get cocky.

      Delete
  2. That's the kind of work that will let you know you worked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ceiling first. Then the wall sheets hold up the edges of the ceiling. That prevents sagging and cracked seams. And use screws on the ceiling. Nails pull out over time. I've rarely seen popped nails on the walls but it's really common on ceilings after a few to several years have passed. Especially in a two story house. The vibration from foot traffic and joist flexing will pop the nails loose. And using ring shank nails does help, a little.
    Also, use a razor knife and a metal straight edge for long cuts. Score and snap then cut the back paper.
    The last contractor I worked for had a Hitachi screw shooter that used a plastic strip full of screws. That thing was wicked fast. But it's only worth it if you're doing production work. I just use a dimpler but in my cordless impact driver. Get some dimpler bits, it'll make a big difference in how many fasteners pull through the paper.
    I agree with using a homemade T bar to help with the ceiling panels. Make it long enough that you can jam the sheet tight against the ceiling. If it's sagging screws won't pull it up, they'll just pull through the rock.
    I learned some hard lessons honing my licks. And remember, spackle and paint make it what it ain't. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using screws. And screws plus construction adhesive for the ceilings.

      I subscribe to the belief that there are few problems that a few good screws won't make better.

      Delete
  4. For a one and done project I rented the drywall lift. A friend let me borrow a screw gun. Made the whole project a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.