Saturday, February 19, 2022

I survived cutting wood

 

Chainsaw with 20" bar included for scale

One of the hazards was the Poison Ivy vines wrapped around these logs. The PI took off when the ash trees died since it was no longer shaded. 
The backstory is that Josh's little brother was given an outdoor boiler as a gift around Thanksgiving. Josh's little brother is almost out of wood to burn. Josh's little brother has two children under the age of three. Last year Josh's little brother burned $3000 of LP heating his home.

Josh looked at the weather and noticed that we are in for a three-day thaw. It will be impossible to get into the swamps starting Sunday at noon. Josh was going to cut whether I was there to keep an eye on him or not.

About two-thirds of the trees had been mature ash trees. The majority of them died long enough ago that the roots rotted and they fell over. There are still a few, here-and-there, where they are lodged in the walnuts, oaks and hackberry trees that remain. We avoided those areas.

Josh has a tracked skid-steer. I helped a little bit...just enough to stay warm...while Josh cussed at his chainsaw, cut wood, loaded into the skid-steer bucket and dumped it out where little bro can get to it. Two hours of helping "a little bit" was enough. I talk a good story but I must confess to occasionally gilding the lily to make the story a wee bit more entertaining.

Judging by eyeball, Josh's little brother has enough wood to last another month or so. Not bad for one man working two hours while the other guy supervised.

5 comments:

  1. That looks like a cord or two of wood after splitting and stacking.

    Back in the day, brother and I used to supplement our income by selling firewood. Back then, a rounded over 1/2 ton truckload split and stacked for 35 to 40 bucks. Made our beer money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spend usually 5 or 6 hours a week cutting, carrying, stacking the Ashen plunder . The Ivy , Sumac , or Oak are ripped off before bringing it in the basement . All three bother the Cherokee woman . I used to call her " The Squaw " but the left has totally turned what was once a valid title for legal rights under the Cherokee Constitution that gave all kids , properties , and honor to the wife of the Brave that was married to her . Now , somehow the leftists have turned a great honorary title into a slur .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're from Swain or Jackson County? Pretty country up there. I was just in the southern part of Jackson County today in Tuckaseegee.

      Delete
  3. Wood heat is a true renewable resource. Wood heat is also a 'green power supply'.
    But since it's predominately a rural (traditionally conservative) heat source the EPA had declared it unacceptable. The government hypocrisy is breathtaking...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear it went well. I heat with wood and burn 10 to 11 full cords per year depending on the winter. I used to make it out in my woods but since I got over 70 I buy an 11 cord load of logs from a local logger and cut and split and make some out in my woods when it falls across my woods roads. It is good to do. Gives me something to do and in the winter a reason to get out of bed in the morning, get dressed and go outside to feed the furnace, the stove in my shop and the chickens. Wednesday I had another load of logs delivered. I paid the same price I did last year and the year before,,$1,100.00. So I bought a years supply of fuel for my house and shop for the same price I paid two years ago and now I'm 2 years ahead for heat. Sure better than gas or oil or electricity. Wood is easy to stockpile. ---ken

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.