Monday, February 3, 2020

Mikuni carburetors


I am still toying with the idea of buying an old, beater tractor.

Mr. Pepper, my expert, is a big fan of gas motors. Since the vintage I am looking at is the 1960s we are talking about fifty-to-sixty year old tractors.

My brother, who is complicit in egging me on these Quixotic quests, knows some people who use tractors of this vintage on working farms. He shared that they often have hot-start issues.

That got me to thinking, is there any percentage in flipping from the factory carburetor over to Mikuni carburetors?

Mikunis are inexpensive. You can buy 34mm, round-slide Mikunis for $30 all day long. They are tunable and the more recent ones are made from materials that can tolerate 10% ethanol in the fuel.

That same 34mm carburetor happily passes enough air-and-fuel to make 35 horsepower in a Polaris 500cc engine. On paper, it should be able to do the same for a 35hp ag engine.

A 65hp engine, like that seen on a Massey 85, is a bit more challenging but a plate that mounted two 34mm carbs would meet the demand and would be cheaper than one, HP 38mm or 40mm carb. Also, if you look around you can find motorcycle guys claiming they can squeeze 70hp from a single, 34mm Mikuni.

Fun things to think about.

7 comments:

  1. Looking at that carb I have my doubts about it being mountable on the side of the engine facing the right way with the choke {does it have one?] rod and the throttle rod connectable in their fore/aft positions and the air cleaner at the rear side. Re-built carbs or a carb kit are really quite cheap for most of the old tractors.---ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what Ken said. It ain't that hard to fix an original stromberg or similar carb to work correctly. IF your "expert" is telling you differently, find another "expert".

      Delete
  2. Am much interested in your results as I am now shopping for a similar vintage tractor for my farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also bear in mind that those vintage tractors can cost much more to fix up than they can sell for. A few years ago my old tractors were an investment. Both running and those for parts. Not now. And getting parts has become a problem. Those used parts are usually worn out also and there are often no new ones.---ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't the speed control engine governed? That linkage has to match. I traded out jap carbs on a harley and norton when I was a kid. So hard to start. They did run, just never could predict starting them. Maybe import carb off a stationary engine? They'd have the short throw governor linkage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. The throttle linkage usually goes to the governor and that has linkage to the carb. That way you set the throttle and it stays there with the governor adjusting the fuel flow so you don't have to keep moving the throttle like you do in your truck.---ken

      Delete
  5. Interesting...I have been eyeballing a 1950s model Ford 8N tractor lately. The one I have found in my area is a sort of a bargain. It is CHEAP but needs lots of work. I am looking for an example in better shape. I will be following your tractorquest like I follow your blog. Nearly religiously.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.