Thursday, February 20, 2014

Of Acorns and Snow Storms

The weather is rapidly turning to crap.

It is snowing sideways outside and I just heard a big boom of thunder.  This is what Weather Underground says to expect.

* A wintery mix of freezing rain... sleet and snow will begin around 6 am south of I-94 amd move north.

* Ice accumulations of a coating upwards to a quarter of an  inch expected this morning.

* A chance of thunderstorms this afternoon.

* Winds gusting to 50 to 55 mph along the Lake Shore tonight and 40 to 45 mph inland.

* Snow squalls and blustery winds of 25 to 45 mph on Friday.

Kubota has a doctor's appointment in East Lansing this afternoon and then math tutoring in Eaton Rapids right after that.  I need to cancel the math tutoring.  There is just no way I am going to be able to get him there in time.

Acorns


I got an email from Lovelace Seeds.  I was informed that they would not be able to completely fill my order.  The people who go out in the woods and who sweep up acorns out of parking lots have been unable to supply Lovelace Seeds with the usual number of acorns.

I requested that they make some substitutions with some species they do have in stock.  We will see how that goes.

If you get really bored (like you are stuck in an airport) and are into trees, you might consider looking up "New Madrid Missouri Quercus nuttallii".  There is specimen of Nuttall Oak that is at the extreme northern fringe of the species natural distribution.  The tree is in the I-55 rest area just south of New Madrid, Missouri.

Picture from HERE


The new flushes of growth (every time you water it or you get a good rain) are can bright cherry red or grape-juice purple, depending on the soil and climate.  The tree has proven hardy to southern Wisconsin.  It is pretty close to a "Super Tree". 

I ordered Q. nuttallii acorns from Lovelace Seeds and it is one of the species they do have in stock. According to Judy, their Q. nuttallii acorns are collected from near the Missouri/Arkansas border.  Maybe I will get lucky and get something as spectacular as New Madrid in my seedlot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.