Monday, July 31, 2023

Weeds!

My rain-buckets tell me that we had 3" of rain in the last week or so.

The weeds exploded.

Even though it is not "good time management" for the reunion, I will fret unless I get some weeding out of the way.

The carrots are weeded and 90% of the potato patch. That was four hours of work, from 8:00AM until 12:40. The extra 40 minutes was the breaks I took. Liquids on the hour and a coffee break and snack after two hours actual work.

I started with the carrots because carrot seedlings are puny and not capable of competing with weeds. I went to the potatoes next because they are in the home-stretch of packing on the pounds. I did not fertilize my potatoes this year as a trial run for tough times. It is notable that different parts of the patch are showing signs of "finishing" at different rates.

One of the thoughts that was going through my head was the nonsense that children can education themselves with no reference to the needs of society. A garden would have twenty weeds for every plant-of-merit of that is how gardeners and farmers operated.

Hayek suggests that one can lay the heresy at the feet of Rousseau and his "Noble Savage". Rousseau is as good of a person to blame as any, him and every person who it is sure to work this-time.

I have a gallon of iced tea in the fridge and will hit the garden again after lunch. Weeds, Communists, decay, rot, rust and other forms of entropy wait for no man. God willing, I will have the stamina to weed for another four hours today.

6 comments:

  1. 2.5 hours watering, no need to weed.
    No rain since end of March, most days over 100 f.
    If the monsoons start I will plant trees, clover, and dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is catastrophic. Sorry to hear that. We have only had 7/10s inch of rain this month but you sure have it worse. I hope it gets better for us all. ---ken

      Delete
  2. We are pretty rain free here as well with temperatures over 100 F regularly. My garden is okay because I water it; my yard is (almost literally) toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here at the Copper Basin, Alaska I caught up hoop house and green house weeding early. I grow squash, and cole crops in the backs of the side beds in the hoop houses through ground cover with the fabric folded back on the inner foot for things like carrots so easy weeding in the raised beds and the three foot wide center beds can be weeded from both sides. Two thirds of my 500 feet of potatoes were on ground that was well weeded last year so they were easy to weed and are hilled and blooming. The last third was on fallow ground last year and was only tilled once last year so they are inundated by chick weed to the tune of 4 or 5 packed five gal buckets from each 45 foot row. Since I am 73 and had back surgery in 2011 I’m hobbling around with my stick or a long handled tool like a hoe used as one I am happy to do 2 hours in the potato patch and a couple hours early or late hand watering the green house and harvesting. The hoop houses are planted around drip tape so they need monitoring and another load of water hauled and applied as needed!

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.