Sunday, July 9, 2023

A Quick Character Sketch

Image shamelessly lifted from Mary's Facebook page

The Eaton County Fair started this weekend.

At Mass, a young lady sat in the pew in front of us. She was about 20, 140 pounds and 5'3". She was muscular so she carried the 140 very, very well. Shoulder-length, blonde-brown hair in a braid. Her face was pleasant and she looks like she has Eastern European roots. She had a tiny bit of "facial jewelry".

She was very devout during Mass and extremely attentive.

After the Mass, I asked if she was with the fair. She said she was. I based my guess on her shirt with the "Mary's Elephant Ears" logo on the back. A regular Sherlock Holmes I am.

I told her I considered little old ladies who used a walker and moms with lots of kids to be saints when they attend church on Sunday because it is much harder for them. I told her I considered her a saint because (I know it sounds like I am judging) probably a lot of her co-workers skipped church and she attended in spite of that.

Did I mention that she blushed easily?

Anyway, she insisted that if I attend the fair to be sure to buy my Elephant Ears at "Mary's". 

I am sharing the invitation.

6 comments:

  1. Clifford the Grammar naziJuly 10, 2023 at 4:06 AM

    Is pleasing to asking question:

    Why did you get it right three times and then get it wrong all in the same sentence - was it that "3:1" thing in the next post that caused it?

    "...old ladies who used a walker and mom's with lots of kids to be saints..."

    ladies - correct use of adding a s to make the word plural
    kids -correct use of adding an s to make the word plural
    saints - correct use of adding an s to make the word plural
    mom's - adding an apostrophe to create a possessive, perhaps hoping to be considered plural ?

    And you demonstrated 100% punctuational cognizance in the last sentence: ...."be sure to buy my Elephant Ears at "Mary's". "

    As Dave Barry commented many years ago "an apostrophe is used to indicate an "s" is coming." (Shouldn't that word be spelled apo'strophe in keeping with the flagrant abuse of punctuation?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed it!

      The wise and wonderful Mrs ERJ had started talking to me and my brain was paying attention to her while my fingers continued to play on the keyboard without adult supervision.

      Delete
  2. My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… for 3-4 hours/day. 95 bucks every hour…..> https://www.pay.salary49.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry but what is an elephant ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An elephant ear is a wad of bread dough that is run through the wringer of an old-fashioned dryer. It is then put in to hot oil and fried. It is removed from the oil and the top is liberally coated with melted butter (redundant, but that is what they do) and then the top has massive quantities of sugar-and-cinnamon shaken on to it.

      For extra money you can have various pie-filling used instead of the sugar-and-cinnamon.

      Folks walk around the fair and eat these delicacies while inhaling the aromas of the barnyard.

      Good times!

      Delete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.