Saturday, July 1, 2023

Today in the garden

First Japanese Beetles sighted today on grape vines.

Flour corn

The flour corn is 5' tall. In two more days I will not be able to run the impulse sprinkler I have mounted on a "T" post in the middle of the patch. If I need to supplement with water I will have to use sprinklers outside the patch and drop water in like mortar rounds.

The sweet corn is not-quite-knee-high.

Rain

This was from a few days ago. We got zero rain.

Earlier today, Richard Tease promised us almost an inch-and-a-half of rain.

 


A few hours later Richard Tease downgraded the prediction to 0.14". <font-family: sarc> I bet he is very popular with the ladies </sarc>

Beets and Daikon radishes planted. The garden is now officially 100% planted and further planting will be "double-crop" opportunities.
 

Random pictures

If I had any pride I would be embarrassed by how excited I get by these things. This is a bud pushing from an Oswego pecan graft. It is an approach graft which accounts for the twig behind the green bud. That is the root-stock.

Oswego graft #2 pushing a bud

I transplanted three, grafted Lehman's Delight persimmons last fall. They did not leaf out this spring. But now there is a bud pushing.

Lon Rombough, a great plant grower, once observed that we should never assume a tree we planted is dead until it has been "dead" for more than 12 months. Here is a different Lehman's Delight starting to push its first bud.

Illinois Everbearing Mulberry air-layer. Roots visible through the Gatorade bottle.


1 comment:

  1. Great job on the air layering.
    I have 2 out of 4 persimmons planted (grown from seed). Need to find a place for these other 2, and a hog plum as well.

    ReplyDelete

Readers who are willing to comment make this a better blog. Civil dialog is a valuable thing.